flywheel confusion!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback (Factory sprint, but now a bright red Mach 1)
351c 2v(big ol cam, holley dominator intake, roller set, edelbrock 4bbl)

fmx
hi all,

Well, the " throw in" flywheel I got when I bought my four speed looks like more like a throw away..... I got to cleaning it up, and noticed the casting # was E 1T E AA. I think that makes it a 50oz? I think I need a 28oz......right? Can anyone confirm? Is there some way to know for sure?

So now I'm finding out there are also two sizes used . A 164 tooth, and a 157 tooth. Was there one that was used most of the time? Did the Clevelands use the 164? Both?

And while I'm at it....does anyone like a lighter flywheel? I guess if I have to buy another one, ......

Thanks Kole

Should be 164 tooth, 28.2 oz. As to a lighter wheel, the answer for a near stock engine and rear gear is, no. With extra power and gear the answer may be yes if the use is road race, no if it is drag race. Chuck

Yes, stock Cleveland flywheels are 164t. The cheapest one I've seen is from Jegs($100ish). It says cast iron but the originals were nodular iron. If your engine is relatively stock then I'd say it should be ok. I was going to pull the trigger on a Billet FRPP 164t flywheel ($250ish) for my new engine I'm building but managed to get a pretty decent original on a trade deal. Good originals are hard to find these days.

I would not use a lightened flywheel. I tried one on another car of mine. Made the idle more choppy and it would fall on its face if you misjudged it and didn't give it enough throttle from a start.

Should be 164 tooth, 28.2 oz. As to a lighter wheel, the answer for a near stock engine and rear gear is, no. With extra power and gear the answer may be yes if the use is road race, no if it is drag race. Chuck
No, I'm not racing.....just acting the tool now and then.

Yes, stock Cleveland flywheels are 164t. The cheapest one I've seen is from Jegs($100ish). It says cast iron but the originals were nodular iron. If your engine is relatively stock then I'd say it should be ok. I was going to pull the trigger on a Billet FRPP 164t flywheel ($250ish) for my new engine I'm building but managed to get a pretty decent original on a trade deal. Good originals are hard to find these days.

I would not use a lightened flywheel. I tried one on another car of mine. Made the idle more choppy and it would fall on its face if you misjudged it and didn't give it enough throttle from a start.
My engine is kind of a middy I guess... Roller rockers, balanced crank, headers, good size cam, dual plane, with an edlebrock 4v....streetish.

I have found a company selling billet 164th 28.2 balance new for 90$ seems too cheap, but I'm thinking of getting one. Speedmaster...sold by Jegs

Last edited by a moderator:
As the others have said, your 351C is the early SBF imbalance which is 28 oz.

The OD or number of teeth is going to depend on what bellhousing you are using. The OE 351C used the larger 164 tooth as they used a larger diameter clutch than the 302. You can use the 157 tooth but you can't run an 11" clutch with it, too small.

So, depends what you have....

If you do replace it with a 164 tooth flywheel and want an aftermarket bell, you'll have to use the Lakewood #15200. I just went through a whole bunch of bullsh*t to figure that out...now I know. You would use 11" clutch and original clutch arm. Bell opening, for clutch arm, needs to be lengthened toward the engine for full range of movement.

Back