Thanks Chuck, that would be awesome. I'm going to call the local shops and see if they have anything. Maybe I'll just tune it for now, I'm thinking about saving up and just getting a Holley or Edelbrock if I can't get the Autolite tuned the way I want it. Have to wait and see!

Steve

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mach-1--1800]The Stable[/button]

25yvyp3.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the bad news is that the local parts houses don't carry ANYTHING for the 4300. The good news is that I don't think I'll have to rejet the carb. I rough-tuned it last night (by sound) and it's running GREAT! I'm going to get my hands on a digital tach and finish the tune, but I'm really encouraged by this. :D

Steve

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mach-1--1800]The Stable[/button]

25yvyp3.jpg

I found nothing available here either, other than an entire carb. I'm glad it looks like you won't need to try to track down parts.

Chuck

I found nothing available here either, other than an entire carb. I'm glad it looks like you won't need to try to track down parts.

Chuck

It really surprises me that with a carb that was produced for 20+ years there is very little support. It speaks volumes for the design I suppose...I'll probably replace it at some point b/c I'm not 100 % happy with it. It has a slight fuel leak and there is a slight hesitation when I goose it.

Steve

25yvyp3.jpg

all the fords that were sold by dealerships in denver metro area had specific jetting for the alltitude. i remember i had a chevelle which ran great in town here but when i drove up to dillon it wouldnt get out of its own way up there. once i got back to denver all was well again. ive read that one advantage of higher alltitude is the ability to run higher compression with no detonation. i had a buddy with a 340 duster with 11:1 compression and he ran junk octane 7-11 gas and never had an issue. i havent been brave enough to test this myself however!

I've heard the same thing about running pump gas with no pinging. I'll keep everyone updated once I get a chance to fine-tune the carb.

Steve

25yvyp3.jpg

Chuck

It really surprises me that with a carb that was produced for 20+ years there is very little support. It speaks volumes for the design I suppose...I'll probably replace it at some point b/c I'm not 100 % happy with it. It has a slight fuel leak and there is a slight hesitation when I goose it.

Steve, I'm sure there are a few Stock and Super Stock racers some where how have figured out how to make them work well. For most racers it was/is not worth the effort. They were notorious for the the accelerator pump "piston" (it is a neoprene cupped washer) going bad. I saw some actually wear out the "bore" of the pump. The pump has 3 settings, adjustable by changing the pivot pin location in one of three holes available. You might want to look at at these two items to see if it makes any difference.

Chuck