72 R code for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3298

Reaction score
Another Red 72 R code for a lot less than the other posting

this from AutaBuy

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=641900&Year=1972&Make=FORD&Model=MUSTANG

641900_290770215.jpg

I know the guy who restored this car. He and his team do great work. They have restored many cars including some extremely nice Shelbys and Boss 351s.

Ray

Don,

The only thing that sticks out is the missing side stripes, and the Glossy hood blackout.

But it is a very nice looking car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Side stripes were not original on this car. To add them would be incorrect. And I don't think the hood should be painted black at all...

Still an exceptional car.

Ray

This is an R code I owned in 1978. The hood was black when I bought it. But, it could have been added between 1972 and 1978. The one for sale is a very pretty car and priced to sell. Chuck

SCAN0049.JPG

---And it is commonly understood that 4V cars in 72 (and 73) did not come with functional ram air. But now we believe some early 72 Q codes did come with. This car in the ad is a late production 72 HO Mach 1. So it is shown as being correct.

Many folks added the ram air back then. I did with the conv and it was only three years old! The hood was already there (stock). Very common mod. Still is.

Ray

on original cars, if you had the side hockey stripe then the bright work on the lower body line was deleted.

there was a decal line that replaced it.

so many cars have the hockey stripe added later or from the dealer but it would require body work to properly delete the lower trim bright work since you have to fill clip holes in the sheet metal.

for example

this car has the side stripes correctly done

bigyellow1.jpg

this one is incorrect and added later

F2301-C.jpg

the R code above did not come with side stripes originally. however i have seen them with factory black out on the hood.

as don said the car has a couple mistakes. big one for me is the rubber snorkel added to the air cleaner, 72 did not have that, it was a 73 deal the flange is different on the 73 air cleaner base for the rubber snorkel.

Like Ray said, the only things that stick out for me are the TuTone on the hood and the rocker panel bright work. As far as the TuTone hood treatment goes, glossy, flat, matte - doesn't make a difference... it's not a Ram Air car - so it 'technically' doesn't belong on the car. As for the "no stripe bright work" along the rockers: the only thing wrong with that is the missing pieces forward of the fenders.

Don, Ray, Chuck, Dan, and others have a much better eye for details on factory correct things that may or may not be correct than I ever will - so aside from those two things I can see, it looks like a solid car to me. ::thumb::

Like Ray said, the only things that stick out for me are the TuTone on the hood and the rocker panel bright work. As far as the TuTone hood treatment goes, glossy, flat, matte - doesn't make a difference... it's not a Ram Air car - so it 'technically' doesn't belong on the car. As for the "no stripe bright work" along the rockers: the only thing wrong with that is the missing pieces forward of the fenders.

Don, Ray, Chuck, Dan, and others have a much better eye for details on factory correct things that may or may not be correct than I ever will - so aside from those two things I can see, it looks like a solid car to me. ::thumb::
I agree it looks like a nice car but the missing trim, makes me wonder what else was skipped or over looked

In the "for what it is worth" column. my R code had the flexible hose on the snorkle. There are some inaccuracies, aftermarket shifter, "extra decals" under the hood, trunk mat, missing trim, gloss hood, and SSS improperly installed. All easily corrected. I'd like to know what it sells for. on a separate note,the Marti report says 1 of 1 with no emissions system installed. What does that mean???? Chuck

Guys...

1972 4V cars from CA had the flexible snorkle hose setup similar to 73's. Here is a pic of my original convertible where the flexible hose is gone but you can see the staples in the snout that held it in place. Also, you can see the top of the original fresh air ducting on the shock tower similar to 73's.

On a side note, has anyone seen numbers stamped into the radiator support before and have any idea what they mean? Looks like 16676 2

2j4zhb8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good catches. Yes shifter should have round black ball for 72 (the same for 73 4 speeds).

Shifter boot looks 'stretched' or up too high on the shifter.

As far as radiator support stampings - I can't see from the pics but I know my conv and I think the Boss has similar. I always thought it corresponded to that part's respective part number.

Interesting - never knew that about the snorkel hose on a 72 CA car

Don't recall numbers in the center - I think the date code is on the pass side

I look at some of the cars here - could it be something else with CA emissions?

Guys...

1972 4V cars from CA had the flexible snorkle hose setup similar to 73's. Here is a pic of my original convertible where the flexible hose is gone but you can see the staples in the snout that held it in place. Also, you can see the top of the original fresh air ducting on the shock tower similar to 73's.

On a side note, has anyone seen numbers stamped into the radiator support before and have any idea what they mean? Looks like 16676 2

2j4zhb8.jpg
The interesting thing about that picture is the 2 tone ford blue.

Two tone Hood was not only on Ram Air Hoods. Look at the Marti reports it was an option.

It is a beautiful car for sure. Now I can ask my questions of the accuracy of the resto. I am not up to speed on all three years but have the following questions the guys in the know in addition to what has been noted.

Should the cowl not be black like the engine bay?

The air canister should be under the space saver should it not? My space saver shows up on the options list with the fold down rear seat that this car does not have. If you pull the spare out I bet is has the wrong bracket welded in without the place for the canister.

I have never seen spatter paint go as high in the trunk as this one all the way up to the top. No spatter paint on the marker lights and none on the tail lights either. Spatter does not look like the correct color too dark.

In the first write up they say it came with an 8 1/2" rear which I don't think ever happened.

Would be easy to fix errors but why would they not have researched it better in the beginning? Like others have said with so many little things what else is not correct?

David

Two tone Hood was not only on Ram Air Hoods. Look at the Marti reports it was an option.

As for this car, it should have a body color hood. No blackout.

Ray

Back