Stroker Windsor/Cleveland it 460 based?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I have gone back-and-forth, and still can't decide. For my 1973 Mach-1, I can't decide whether to build a stroke small block or go with a 460 based motor. For a Cleveland I would go either 393 or 408, for a Windsor I would go either a 393 408 or even 427 (Dart Block). Concerns of mine are simply fitment, and handling due to the additional wait up front. This car would never see the track, only day to day freeway and driving around town.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Mike

I honestly don't have any specific power (number) in mind. Let's see if I can make this more difficult for anyone..lol

My '68 coupe has a 393w with AFR heads, Air Gap intake and a 232/240 hydraulic roller and I love the (characteristics). I could also go that route or even a 427w or maybe that cam on a Cleveland.

Or, ? I could find an equivalent cam for a 460 (or even a 500 inch stroker). I just don't know how to calculate that.

As for budget, this is going to be a true "project". I can't do it all at once but I would be willing to spend around $8,000 +/- for the motor. I have a prepped 460 block already as well as a Cleveland block. I had intended on a forged crank/rods/pistons and aluminum heads for either. I also have an Edelbrock Air Gap for both motors as well.

As for transmission, I was planning on using a TKO-600 as a minimum. Maybe even a T-56.

Anyway, I was just curious as to which direction to go.

Build the monster big block with aluminum everything, it shouldn't be to bad weight wise and will be sure to bring smiles every time you drive it.
I have been talking to Cazper about my build for a couple days now. I did a all forged Scat 521 stroker assembly with Comp cams roller cam retrofit kit. Still running stock heads that had guide plates installed with beehive springs, otherwise stock 1970 heads, as well as stock 2:75-1 open rear gearing, and this thing is sooo much fun to drive on the street. When i roll in i get a lot of oohs and aahhs, and the torque this thing puts down is fun to showboat. I am also running the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold with Holley 4150 HP 1000CFM carb using a 3" tall drop base K&N open top air cleaner and it all fits under the stock NASA hood. Using Crites long tube headers, and 3 1/2" straight pipe to the mufflers.

My intro thread has a engine build list on page 5 as linked here.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-intro-and-build-thread?page=5

The first car to run in this video is my 521 powered Mach 1. It put down 424 HP @ 531 Ft Lbs of torque and thats at the wheels. I cant wait to upgrade the rear end and put the aluminum trick flow heads on this thing.

[video=youtube]

Back