Plasma LED rear tail light replacements

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
A bloke on the Aussie Mustang forum bought to my attention that West Coast Cougar sell plasma LED rear brake globes, and reported them to be an excellent replacement for the standard incandescents. Well I got mine yesterday and installed them today and I am very happy with the results and thought I'd share my thoughts on the 7173 forum.

Took some photo's for comparison (taken in daylight near the open shed door, cloudy day). I estimate both the running lights and the brake/flasher lights to be twice the brightness of the standard globes. The distinction between running lights and brake/flasher light is excellent.

One of the things that concerned me with the factory reds was the ominous feeling that cars behind couldn't see them operate very well when the sun is shining on them from the rear....with these new lamps I will feel a lot safer.

No change to the wiring or flasher unit is necessary, just plug them straight in and they will work.

Running lights - plasma on the left and standard globe on the right. The difference in much more noticeable in person than it is in the photo:

JIeA0fD.jpg

Brake/flasher light - plasma on the left and standard globe on the right. One thing to note, the flasher light is instantaneous on and off, as opposed to the lazy ramp up and ramp down of the standard globe - I thought that I wouldn't like the "electronic sharpness" of the on/off function, but after seeing how crisp and clear the plasma's work now I wouldn't have it any other way:

MefVk7A.jpg

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma6.html

plasma-27-1028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears no change to the flasher is required to use the Plasma LEDs as per the description and Brett's experience.

I bought a set.

A couple years ago I tired first generation LEDs and had problems with them, they also required a digital flasher conversion.

I also bought a sequential taillight pcb led setup and didn't like it either.

Will report back on these plasma LEDs

Got mine the other day and they don't work.

Polarity is reversed, that is to say the pins don't

line up properly. If I reverse the bulb and Hold

it in place it works as it should, but then you

can't lock it in the socket. Also advertised as

a back up light but those bulbs are 1156 not 1157.

mike

i never received mine, they claim its on back order. its been about 15 days now

they claim its on back order, its been about 20 days now ...i can wait(winter is coming)

I just wanted to let you know that the LED bulbs are out of stock, and that they'll ship when they get here. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Junior Tanguma

Product Placement Team Leader and full time Captain Awesome

All,

If they do not fit properly, has anybody called to state they did not fit? I am wondering now whether to look for another solution here.

mustang7173 :chin:
Will return mine; unless someone here wants to try them :p

Need RMA so I will explain what happened and see where it

goes.

mike

Mine fitted fine, sounds like there might be a bad batch out there.

Their website lists them as currently out of stock; perhaps they have become aware of the problems people are having and have pulled all the bad stock from the shelf as a result ?? Fingers crossed that those who have them on back-order for the next batch will get good units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine fitted fine, sounds like there might be a bad batch out there.

Their website lists them as currently out of stock; perhaps they have become aware of the problems people are having and have pulled all the bad stock from the shelf as a result ?? Fingers crossed that those who have them on back-order for the next batch will get good units.
That was my conclusion, got a misaligned bulb. Interesting.

If you turn the bulb 180 and hold in place, works fine.

That is $73.25 I will try to recover.

I really like these bulbs, Very bright!

Hope to find ones that work.

mike

Back