Mallory Electronic/programmable dist and Factory Tach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
My Mach 1 ('69) has a Mallory programmable distributor and a factory in dash tachometer. Unfortunately, the tach no longer reads accurately with the Mallory installed. The car runs great, but the tach never really reads over about 2,000 rpm even when you get on the throttle. Generally it reads under 1,000 rpm.

Any ideas for a fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocketman's solution may be the best option you have. Your tachometer will not work with most aftermarket electronic ignitions due to the way the ignition circuit runs through the tachometer and is sensed by the tachometer. MSD makes an adapter that may or not work for you.

Rocketman's products are high quality and liked by his customers (as attested to by many posts on this forum).

It sounds like a workable option, the difficulty I am having is taking a perfectly good factory tach that I know worked and converting it. Had it been broken, it's a no brainier. I just need to get over it, because as far as my car is concerned, it is broken now.

Get rid of the Mallory and go back to a standard distributor and points or Pertronix.

Back