Took The Front End Appart

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunForFree33

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang
1995 Honda Civic
Took off the front end and took a good look at the rear end. The rear end is in good shape just surface rust and here is what the front end looks like. I dont know I think I may just keep going. Screw it ill do it one piece at a time I have the rest of my life at least I will know what I have when I am done. I know what everyone is saying I just dont have the heart to deny this car life.

101_3650.JPG

101_3651.JPG

101_3653.JPG

101_3654.JPG

I've got to tell you, I've seen a WHOLE lot worse on this forum. Save your pennies ($20's, actually :) ) and you can get a whole lot done yourself. How are your welding skills? If you don't have much experience, you may want to invest in the $210 MIG welder posted in another thread and do a little practicing. Welcome to the world of Mustang restoration!!

Doc

STOP!

Take some measurements before you go any farther. Take plenty of pictures for reference. Keep records. Bag your assortment of bolts individually.

As you mentioned, take one step at a time and keep heart. It is fixable and it is worth fixing. Looking forward to following the progress.

Thats funny I measured everything and labled everything I thought I was being a bit to silly but I am glad to see I wasnt..

Start looking for parts...Frt & rear aprons both sides (aftermarket) ..2 new frame rails..Both shock towers..both rear apron to cowl extensions..radiator support..lower inner cowl repair sections..That should get you going

This is the only company producing FULL frame rails that I know of, If you plan on fixing this car you should buy them NOW while you can

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-replacement-front-frame-rails-1971-1972-1973-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a349f315QQitemZ290502341397QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

FunforFree,

Glad your heart is in it to save this car. If the major rust is concentrated in the front you may want to consider a solid donor car. If you can find a similiar 71 or 72 car that was rearended you may be in luck. Don't go with a 73 front clip as they were modified for the low speed impact bumpers. The repro parts are hard to find and cost alot. Sometimes you can find a whole donor car for less than new repro parts. New repro parts are not always as good as the Ford originals for metal gauge and fit. You sometimes spend more time and money in labor getting repro parts to fit versus searching for a quality used original. I might have a parts car in the workings that I considered to use as a shell for my restoration. If it comes through I will et you know.

Again, kudos for your decision to give this car another chance. Be patient, be persistant and things work out over time. Heck, it has taken me 25 years to get my car headed down the right path.

Brian D.

K.A.R auto group has a compleat front stucture kit for $475.looks like that kit has everthing you need up front

K.A.R auto group has a compleat front stucture kit for $475.looks like that kit has everthing you need up front
PB..looked at that kit here's a cut & paste from the kar site

"Shock tower, fenders to cowl brackets, and full frame rails are not yet available as new parts for '71-73 Mustangs. Check with the K.A.R. staff for availability of solid, rust free used parts."

RH frame rail and shock tower 300.00

Have a LH good rail, tower has small spot in bottom corner

How far are you from 44054 Ohio

Want to buy a complete front end

Don

Back