First Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas280z

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 H code FMX Grabber Blue with 5W Deluxe White Interior
So, I finally have my own Mustang. My dad has a fully restored 1970 Mach 1 M code, and we are resto-modding a 1967 Cougar, but I finally have one all to myself.

I picked up a beautiful 1971 Mach 1 H code at Mecum Harrisburg last week. I wasn't looking to buy anything, but the car caught my eye as being something that was cosmetically and structurally excellent. I was shocked when I got it at the top of my budget. Biggest adrenaline rush ever, "winning" a car at one of those auctions.

The car has been fully repainted (they did a hell of a job) and the brakes, suspension, etc. have been gone through, but it is otherwise bone stock. It still has the original glass, trim, and dog dish hubcaps wheels and trim rings! I was so confident in it mechanically that I drove it home 300 miles on Sunday, didn't have so much as a hiccup.

The engine bay and interior need a few hours with some cleaning supplies, but there really isn't anything the car NEEDS.

My plans for the car are to slightly restomod it, but nothing that cannot be changed back. Short term, an Edelbrock low rise 4bbl manifold for the 2v heads and a 600cfm carb.

In a year or so, I want to put a set of Edelbrock 61629 heads on the car, and most likely put in the cam Edelbrock recommends with those heads (though I may leave the stock cam, still need to decide). I figure this should be good for 375-400bhp. I am planning to keep the low rise manifold with this setup, as I also want to install a ram air setup. I realize I am probably leaving a little power on the table by going with the ram air, but I think the coolness factor more than makes up for it.

Eventually I will probably replace the 3rd member with a 3.00 or 3.25 traction lok setup, but I want to drive the car with the final horse power before deciding on the ratio. Currently the car has a 3.00 open diff.

Obviously I will keep all of the original parts, so if I ever pass the car on it can be returned to stock if so desired.

A little about me. I am a Mechanical Engineer, but not directly in the automotive industry. I have been working on cars for years. I daily drive a stage 2 2012 WRX, and my other summer car is a 1978 Datsun 280z that my dad and I restored while I was in college (he has a 1983 280zx). Both of my other cars are also blue. Apparently I like blue.

And finally some pictures of my latest pick up. http://imgur.com/a/FKrIC

http://imgur.com/a/LCIHD

And some others

http://imgur.com/a/Fhxle

Congrats! That's definitely an eye-catcher. I just jumped on board a couple of days ago with a new-to-me mustang too!

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Wow! I've rarely seen car this straight and with such good panel fit.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Luxstang. That is what attracted me to this car. I knew that I could not do it better bodywise, even if I tried on a different car, it would have cost me the purchase price in paint and bodywork alone.

I am currently in Reno, for Hot August Nights. Kind of disappointed to only see only 71-73 on the docket at Barrett-Jackson. It is nice, but the paint needs some serious buffing and it is a Mach 1 clone.

14" wheels. Good to know though.

So, I finally have my own Mustang. My dad has a fully restored 1970 Mach 1 M code, and we are resto-modding a 1967 Cougar, but I finally have one all to myself.

I picked up a beautiful 1971 Mach 1 H code at Mecum Harrisburg last week. I wasn't looking to buy anything, but the car caught my eye as being something that was cosmetically and structurally excellent. I was shocked when I got it at the top of my budget. Biggest adrenaline rush ever, "winning" a car at one of those auctions.

The car has been fully repainted (they did a hell of a job) and the brakes, suspension, etc. have been gone through, but it is otherwise bone stock. It still has the original glass, trim, and dog dish hubcaps wheels and trim rings! I was so confident in it mechanically that I drove it home 300 miles on Sunday, didn't have so much as a hiccup.

The engine bay and interior need a few hours with some cleaning supplies, but there really isn't anything the car NEEDS.

My plans for the car are to slightly restomod it, but nothing that cannot be changed back. Short term, an Edelbrock low rise 4bbl manifold for the 2v heads and a 600cfm carb.

In a year or so, I want to put a set of Edelbrock 61629 heads on the car, and most likely put in the cam Edelbrock recommends with those heads (though I may leave the stock cam, still need to decide). I figure this should be good for 375-400bhp. I am planning to keep the low rise manifold with this setup, as I also want to install a ram air setup. I realize I am probably leaving a little power on the table by going with the ram air, but I think the coolness factor more than makes up for it.

Eventually I will probably replace the 3rd member with a 3.00 or 3.25 traction lok setup, but I want to drive the car with the final horse power before deciding on the ratio. Currently the car has a 3.00 open diff.

Obviously I will keep all of the original parts, so if I ever pass the car on it can be returned to stock if so desired.

A little about me. I am a Mechanical Engineer, but not directly in the automotive industry. I have been working on cars for years. I daily drive a stage 2 2012 WRX, and my other summer car is a 1978 Datsun 280z that my dad and I restored while I was in college (he has a 1983 280zx). Both of my other cars are also blue. Apparently I like blue.

And finally some pictures of my latest pick up. http://imgur.com/a/FKrIC

http://imgur.com/a/LCIHD

And some others

http://imgur.com/a/Fhxle
Very Nice!! Don't see to many Grabber Blue Machs.

Looks like the next thing you need is a bigger garage :D

Mac

Welcome to the forum. That color rocks! It's a beautiful car indeed and I am glad you are happy with it. You've also found the best place on the web for information, encouragement and friendly people who love these cars.

I like your plans to do some mods that can be undone. Take some time before you commit to the Edelbrock heads/cams and such. I have no problems with the company but the Cleveland's respond to upgrades a little different than most. They are not a bad choice but they may not be the best choice depending on where you want to take it. You've got plenty of time to decide. :)

Wow, what a beauty - congrats!

Every time I see those dog dish hubcaps, I can't help but think of "Eleanor" in the original "Gone in Sixty Seconds" movie!

Welcome from Melbourne!

Wow looks great. Just make sure you drive it a lot before parking it for upgrades.

Nice thing about living in Western New York, there is a roughly 6 month yearly parked/upgrade period mandated due to lakes Erie and Ontario. One night you are raking leaves. The next morning there is 5 feet of snow and more coming. Snow ember was brutal this past year.

As far as the heads go, I am between Edelbrock 61629 and Trick Flow's 195cc Cleveland heads. I definitely want to go aluminum, rather than Aussie or something along those lines. There is still quite a bit of reading and research (and saving) to do before I pull the trigger.

I actually did just order the manifold, got an Edelbrock 2750 manifold. Should work with what I have at the moment, and be compatible going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back