First Mustang

jas280z

So, I finally have my own Mustang. My dad has a fully restored 1970 Mach 1 M code, and we are resto-modding a 1967 Cougar, but I finally have one all to myself.

I picked up a beautiful 1971 Mach 1 H code at Mecum Harrisburg last week. I wasn't looking to buy anything, but the car caught my eye as being something that was cosmetically and structurally excellent. I was shocked when I got it at the top of my budget. Biggest adrenaline rush ever, "winning" a car at one of those auctions.

The car has been fully repainted (they did a hell of a job) and the brakes, suspension, etc. have been gone through, but it is otherwise bone stock. It still has the original glass, trim, and dog dish hubcaps wheels and trim rings! I was so confident in it mechanically that I drove it home 300 miles on Sunday, didn't have so much as a hiccup.

The engine bay and interior need a few hours with some cleaning supplies, but there really isn't anything the car NEEDS.

My plans for the car are to slightly restomod it, but nothing that cannot be changed back. Short term, an Edelbrock low rise 4bbl manifold for the 2v heads and a 600cfm carb.

In a year or so, I want to put a set of Edelbrock 61629 heads on the car, and most likely put in the cam Edelbrock recommends with those heads (though I may leave the stock cam, still need to decide). I figure this should be good for 375-400bhp. I am planning to keep the low rise manifold with this setup, as I also want to install a ram air setup. I realize I am probably leaving a little power on the table by going with the ram air, but I think the coolness factor more than makes up for it.

Eventually I will probably replace the 3rd member with a 3.00 or 3.25 traction lok setup, but I want to drive the car with the final horse power before deciding on the ratio. Currently the car has a 3.00 open diff.

Obviously I will keep all of the original parts, so if I ever pass the car on it can be returned to stock if so desired.

A little about me. I am a Mechanical Engineer, but not directly in the automotive industry. I have been working on cars for years. I daily drive a stage 2 2012 WRX, and my other summer car is a 1978 Datsun 280z that my dad and I restored while I was in college (he has a 1983 280zx). Both of my other cars are also blue. Apparently I like blue.

And finally some pictures of my latest pick up. http://imgur.com/a/FKrIC

http://imgur.com/a/LCIHD

And some others

http://imgur.com/a/Fhxle

1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue with 5W Deluxe White Interior, 351C H code with Edelbrock 4 barrel

Sharp Car. Love the color. The Datsun is pretty sweet too. Welcome from Iowa!

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Beautiful!

Welcome from CA!

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Luxstang. That is what attracted me to this car. I knew that I could not do it better bodywise, even if I tried on a different car, it would have cost me the purchase price in paint and bodywork alone.

I am currently in Reno, for Hot August Nights. Kind of disappointed to only see only 71-73 on the docket at Barrett-Jackson. It is nice, but the paint needs some serious buffing and it is a Mach 1 clone.

1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue with 5W Deluxe White Interior, 351C H code with Edelbrock 4 barrel

So, I finally have my own Mustang. My dad has a fully restored 1970 Mach 1 M code, and we are resto-modding a 1967 Cougar, but I finally have one all to myself.

I picked up a beautiful 1971 Mach 1 H code at Mecum Harrisburg last week. I wasn't looking to buy anything, but the car caught my eye as being something that was cosmetically and structurally excellent. I was shocked when I got it at the top of my budget. Biggest adrenaline rush ever, "winning" a car at one of those auctions.

The car has been fully repainted (they did a hell of a job) and the brakes, suspension, etc. have been gone through, but it is otherwise bone stock. It still has the original glass, trim, and dog dish hubcaps wheels and trim rings! I was so confident in it mechanically that I drove it home 300 miles on Sunday, didn't have so much as a hiccup.

The engine bay and interior need a few hours with some cleaning supplies, but there really isn't anything the car NEEDS.

My plans for the car are to slightly restomod it, but nothing that cannot be changed back. Short term, an Edelbrock low rise 4bbl manifold for the 2v heads and a 600cfm carb.

In a year or so, I want to put a set of Edelbrock 61629 heads on the car, and most likely put in the cam Edelbrock recommends with those heads (though I may leave the stock cam, still need to decide). I figure this should be good for 375-400bhp. I am planning to keep the low rise manifold with this setup, as I also want to install a ram air setup. I realize I am probably leaving a little power on the table by going with the ram air, but I think the coolness factor more than makes up for it.

Eventually I will probably replace the 3rd member with a 3.00 or 3.25 traction lok setup, but I want to drive the car with the final horse power before deciding on the ratio. Currently the car has a 3.00 open diff.

Obviously I will keep all of the original parts, so if I ever pass the car on it can be returned to stock if so desired.

A little about me. I am a Mechanical Engineer, but not directly in the automotive industry. I have been working on cars for years. I daily drive a stage 2 2012 WRX, and my other summer car is a 1978 Datsun 280z that my dad and I restored while I was in college (he has a 1983 280zx). Both of my other cars are also blue. Apparently I like blue.

And finally some pictures of my latest pick up. http://imgur.com/a/FKrIC

http://imgur.com/a/LCIHD

And some others

http://imgur.com/a/Fhxle

Very Nice!! Don't see to many Grabber Blue Machs.

Looks like the next thing you need is a bigger garage :D

Mac

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Welcome to the forum. That color rocks! It's a beautiful car indeed and I am glad you are happy with it. You've also found the best place on the web for information, encouragement and friendly people who love these cars.

I like your plans to do some mods that can be undone. Take some time before you commit to the Edelbrock heads/cams and such. I have no problems with the company but the Cleveland's respond to upgrades a little different than most. They are not a bad choice but they may not be the best choice depending on where you want to take it. You've got plenty of time to decide. :)

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Wow, what a beauty - congrats!

Every time I see those dog dish hubcaps, I can't help but think of "Eleanor" in the original "Gone in Sixty Seconds" movie!

Ham & Eggs: A day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.

'71 Grande, 351C Ram Air w/ Edelbrock carb and intake, 2 1/2" exhaust w/ DynaMax mufflers, NACA hood, front spoiler, 235/60-15 Radial T/As on 15x8 Vision Legend Five wheels, mostly new interior, several custom touches in and out...

Nice thing about living in Western New York, there is a roughly 6 month yearly parked/upgrade period mandated due to lakes Erie and Ontario. One night you are raking leaves. The next morning there is 5 feet of snow and more coming. Snow ember was brutal this past year.

As far as the heads go, I am between Edelbrock 61629 and Trick Flow's 195cc Cleveland heads. I definitely want to go aluminum, rather than Aussie or something along those lines. There is still quite a bit of reading and research (and saving) to do before I pull the trigger.

I actually did just order the manifold, got an Edelbrock 2750 manifold. Should work with what I have at the moment, and be compatible going forward.

Beautiful grabber blue. Paint job, as you say, looks top-shelf. Well-done and all the best in making it what you want it to be.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Nice looking blue cars. The Z is impressive, I like it a lot. Good job.

Be sure to add a pin to our member map to represent your corner of the world. The map is located under the "Fun Stuff" tab at the top of the page.

spacer.png