New guy with lots to learn!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterDog

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q-code
While this isn't my first classic Mustang, it's my first in almost 20 years. I'm trying to "finish" a '73 q-code Mach 1. It's a project for sure. The electrical systems are the most scary part of the project. Hopefully I'll be able to find someone to guide me.

Anyway, I'll try to post a photo...

Welcome from Melbourne!

Wow, nice car. I'll be following your posts, the electrical is difficult for me too.

Welcome. The front fenders on your car are 71-72 as is the grill the lower fascia and the bumper. I can't see the rear bumper clearly, but it looks to be 71-72 as well. A proper Mach 1 should have a honeycomb tail light panel trim as well.

Now having spotted those issues, I'll say this as a 1973 Q code owner. I would love to have 71-72 fenders and the chrome front bumper. I would love to change my rear bumper mounts to the earlier style and tuck my bumper in closer and get rid of the filler panels. If I had to replace my tail panel and had the choice, I would not use the trim panel. I prefer my hood's paint treatment, but other than that when I finally have to break down and repaint, my car will end up looking more like yours!

Great looking car any way you slice it!

Welcome from Denmark ;) Nice looking ride you have there! Yes, it is not my strong side too, but I have learned a lot about the auto electrics. My car has a new painless system, because the original was so bad that it was cracking / smelting! Good luck with the project!::thumb::

Regards DK73

Thanks for the replies and welcomes! What a great site!

Yes, the project started out as a Boss 351 tribute. 1971 front end and a smoothed out gas panel. But I haven't committed to the blacked-out hood/tail paint scheme. Plus, I prefer the 1973 side stripes. (I respect original restorations, but I'll make this what "I" want.)

I guess I need to get a manual. Clymer or Haynes or ?? I'd love to learn more about this Painless wiring....

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Nothing wrong with doing it your own way. And the yellow gives you extra points with me. :)

Welcome from Iowa. Great looking car. The wiring on these isn't as bad as you would think. As long as you have a meter, lots of patience, and the ability to twist like a pretzel under the dash. :) I rewired a British Sports Car from the 60's, that was a fun one (1963 Triumph Spitfire)!

Go with a set of factory manuals. Haynes/Clymer/Chilton are merely okay.

Back