What I replaced the dash seatbelt light with

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked here about getting rid of the seat belt light last year,,, some people have removed it and others like it. It always bugged me with the way it stood out visually and I was always thinking of a way to get rid of it while adding to the look of the dash..

My car has a 1970 Torino 429 in it, so when I came across a 429 fender emblem for the Torino i started thinking. The angle on the fender emblem was the same at the face of our dash, and the size was about right,,,, I found a fender emblem that had not been finished and was just the plain pot metal,,, I made a small bracket that is contained within the body of the emblem and it has 2 small bolts that use the existing mount holes for the seat belt light, painted the emblem with self etching primer, then the same paint as I repainted my dash with, a spray bomb of the metallic grey. Then I very lightly sanded the raised surfaces of the emblem to have the numbers stand out.

In person the colors work really well. The emblem blends in with the dash but the numbers stand out enough to get some attention,, it really looks like it was suppose to be there.

DSC05304.JPG

Looks good. Fits perfectly. ::thumb::

Center gauges looks good too. What did you end up using there. My water temp. gauge doesn't work properly. I need something to replace it with. Right now I have an aux. gauge sitting loose to keep an eye on the temp.

Not stealing man I'm sharing! you will do better with one that has not been chromed if you paint it,,, I actually bought a chromed one as well and thought about using it but it would have been much flashier and I wanted a more subdued look.

I used a dremil tool to cut the mounting studs in the back down enough to use them to attach a flat piece of metal in there. Then I put 2 small bolts that fit the existing holes in the dash through that piece of metal, it sets deep enough that I put a layer of foam tape on my bracket to protect my dash,,, easy to remove and repair the paint if necessary and re insert the seat belt light,,

There is a better image of the fender emblem on my other thread about my whole dash redo and how great rocketmans tach is

Looks good. Fits perfectly. ::thumb::

Center gauges looks good too. What did you end up using there. My water temp. gauge doesn't work properly. I need something to replace it with. Right now I have an aux. gauge sitting loose to keep an eye on the temp.
I used VDO Vision gauges

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be so good to have it light up and flash for a few seconds after the car is started up, much like the seat belt warning light...don't you think?

Back