Rocketmans Tach conversion ROCKS in renewed dash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past winter I did alot of work on my dash,,, First I took it down to the metal dash panel, Then I,,,

Replaced my idiot light cluster with a Rocketman Tach,, this was easy to do and I can't believe how much better it looks, the tach functions and looks great. Used replacement adjustable led bulbs and I can really see things better now.

Put in a new instrument cluster lens, this also made a huge difference

Removed several dents and scratches from the dash, then primed and repainted with grey metallic,, I had a hard time with the spraycan paint and getting the metalflake even,,, after 3 tries It is good enough but when the sun hits it just right there are a couple of small inconsistencies.

Installed a 429 fender emblem in place of the dash seat belt light,

bought a 3 gauge instrument panel for the dash and installed 3 VDO gauges, They are not recessed but I decided to go this route for better visibility,, at a later date I may decide to recess them.

Repaired and polished the steering wheel, and repaired the AC vents. All in all a long winters project.

DSC05296.JPG

DSC05304.JPG

DSC05315.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures were not showing, looks great now

Looks FANTASTIC!!!! I am going to get the tach conversion done this winter too!! I also want to install modern gauges into my triple pod!! Seems like if you want to run any aftermarket dizzy's a full 12v swap is necessary.

I have a Rocketman tach and it's the best investment I did. It looks perfect, blends in like it was stock and it works. Plus it's easy to install.

I can fully and honestly recommend it!

Looks great! I was thinking of getting the Rocketman tach conversion as well. This confirms it for me that I will be doing so. I was also thinking of getting Speedhut gauges for the three gauge cluster. Just trying to figure out the best way to install them. I am thinking a customer SLS holder behind the dash using the OEM lenses may be best.

Nice work, I too would like to know which VDO gauges you went with. I have an empty triple gauge middle console and really like the look of the VDO Cockpit series. I had some issues though, basically deciding on whether or not to go with mechanical or electronic gauges. So what did you throw in there?

http://www.vdo-instruments.com/instruments/by-type/water-temperature/vision-black-265-deg-f-mechanical-water-temperature-gauge-wit-72-capillary-12v.html

http://www.vdo-instruments.com/vision-black-12v-voltmeter.html

http://www.vdo-instruments.com/vision-black-100-psi-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge-12v.html

I used the above 3 gauges, their needles match the factory speedo and gas needles very well and I bought some I believe blue bulbs to match the light colors

They fit pretty well now that they are in but they were a little bit of a pain to get there, first the gauges are round and the holes are not, my dremil and a couple of sanding disk came in handy, the 3 pod dash panel reproduction is trashed for any other use. I also had to get creative in the fastening of the gauges into the holes, the brackets that came with them worked but it was very hard to get the gauges stationary, I ended up getting them where I wanted them then applying hot glue around the rear of the gauge to keep them from slipping, The face of my reproduction dash panel wasn't flat around the face of the holes either so I did a little very careful sanding with a flat block and repainting to get a better fit. The gauge is round and the mounting surface oval but that is alot harder to notice one it is in the car

Rocketmans tach was a much easier fix!

DSC04165.JPG

OK - that's it. My new mission is to get my instrument cluster and 3 gauge pod out of the car this coming weekend, and shipped off to Bob. Enough's enough - I've been putting this off for WAY too long.

This is awesome - you did a wonderful job rehabbing your dashboard and interior! :bravo:

Are those the 2 1/16" gauges?
For the Voltmeter

Catalog # 332 103

Input Type analog

Diameter 2 1/16 in

Connection .250" Spade

Mounting Hardware Spin-Lok™

Voltage 12V

Equiv. Bulk PN# 332-103B

Diameter (Metric) 52mm

So yes all three are

COOL! Thank you!!

Sorry, One more question, Did you get electrical w/ sending unit for oil pressure, or did you go mechanical? Which is better?

I also have the big clock in my 71 Mach 1 converted to a tach by the Rocketman Bob and I am very happy with it. It works nicely, was easy to connect and the instructions that came with it were great.

A future project will be the conversion of the triple center gauges of which only the oil pressure gauge seems to work properly. The ammeter seems to have no function and the temp gauge is very coarse in display.

COOL! Thank you!!

Sorry, One more question, Did you get electrical w/ sending unit for oil pressure, or did you go mechanical? Which is better?
I went Mechanical but really electrical could be the way to go,,, that plastic oil line could make a mess pretty quick if it broke behind the dash,,,,,,

Electrical gets a bad reputation as being inaccurate and with factory gauges it was, but modern units are much better. Are Mechanical gauges more accurate? I think so, but I'd run electric for the ease of installation and the fact that with good quality gauges they are going to be plenty accurate at a lower cost of time and effort.

Electrical gets a bad reputation as being inaccurate and with factory gauges it was, but modern units are much better. Are Mechanical gauges more accurate? I think so, but I'd run electric for the ease of installation and the fact that with good quality gauges they are going to be plenty accurate at a lower cost of time and effort.
I agree,,, I'm a little to old school,, course I had another below the dash mechanical oil gauge in for 20 years before this one with no leaks,,, the main reason I went with the mechanical gauge was how it has a wider sweep of the needle, of course the electric oil pressure and temp gauges would match the voltmeter face and needle

Back