Hello from North Alabama

aphaynes

Hello all. I am new to not only owning a Mustang, but to owning and taking on a classic projects in general. In this case, I was after a Torino when I came across a package deal of a 1970 Torino GT AND a 1973 Mach I. It was advertised as a 73 Mustang Fastback; but after looking at it, showing some pics to a buddy who loves mustangs and has owned quite a few, and researching the VIN, it turned out to be a Mach I...BONUS! :biggrin:

I do not know all of the history. I did acquire a Marti report for kicks. It was originally Medium Copper Metallic with Ginger interior and a 351C. Now it is White with a mostly completed black interior (white stripes in the seat covers) and a 351W. So, it has been through some changes. It is not driveable right now. The previous owner is the one who had some sort of trouble with the 351C, so he took it out and put in a rebuilt 351W he acquired from a local shop.

It's current state:

Interior is about 75% complete

Wiring under the dash is a mess

When ignition is turned to Start it shorts. In the Run position, you can jump the starter solenoid to turn the engine over.

Center console gauges do not work (see wiring under dash comment...:lollerz:)

Had factory AC, but all under hood components were removed. (my wife will want that back here in the Southeast :wink: ).

Exhaust not mated to engine. Previous owner had new exhaust put in for the 351C, but after swapping the motor, the exhaust doesn't mate to the 351W yet.

I was able to crank the motor when I got it home, but found out the dipstick in it was not the right one and it turned out to have 8 qts of oil in it. Drained that, put 5 back in and noted where on the dipstick that hits.

Started messing with the distributor to verify timing...mistake...now it won't start.

Yes, I have a lot to learn and figure out.

Headers/exhaust manifold is not completely secure. Smoke was coming out of various places when it was cranked.

Not sure this motor was ever run by the previous owner, maybe it needs a break in cycle. Though, I am not sure what that entails. Not sure if the smoke is due to needing a break in cycle, having 8 qts of oil in it, or something not right in the rebuilt motor.

So all of the above, and I am sure I missed/forgot some things, was just to say I have a lot to learn about this beast and will be scouring the forum for answers and asking questions for those answers I cannot find. :thumb:

First time the engine ran...https://youtu.be/FJKWaUwuk7o

The video does not show it, but the garage was pretty smoky afterward.

Some pics

qysf2r.jpg

dAz8A39QdCCKMt-Fo8BTEWGUZxsEJojEGingyKP7egc=w1210-h681-no

dHTa2acmA-2aaGwYjY182I-S8PyMTadvmTV6oQfmaHs=w1210-h681-no

TegDvvrmlBdW1gW_2dQHZ5vOR-xW7Tmcp2yc4MgkBdI=w1210-h681-no

6szylWo-BJ3wZNBWVwtYczkMD4lKjMrs-uOnAOrANLI=w1210-h681-no

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from CA!

Nic elooking car for sure!

Engine sounds rough...Exhaust leak?

Midlife is a member here and the wiring harness guru!

good luck on your project keep us updated.

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Welcome from South Alabama (Mobile). Good looking car. Post a pic of the Torino too when you get a chance. Props for posting a video in your intro thread.

Depending on how bad the wiring is, I have a full under dash harness from a 73 Mach 1 if you need it. If yours can be repaired I suggest you let Midlife work his magic and refurbish it. He is a site supporter on here.

spacer.png

Welcome from South Alabama (Mobile). Good looking car. Post a pic of the Torino too when you get a chance. Props for posting a video in your intro thread.

Depending on how bad the wiring is, I have a full under dash harness from a 73 Mach 1 if you need it. If yours can be repaired I suggest you let Midlife work his magic and refurbish it. He is a site supporter on here.

Nice on the refurb option as well as replacement options!! I must admit, I have been struggling to finish some work on the Torino before jumping back into the electrical on the Mustang.

Speaking of....here's a quick pic of the Torino.

xZc0jqIRtvmeHbrdwC4yYTphNHHzjM537OGfz1jd1TA=w1210-h681-no

Alex

Athens, AL

Welcome from TriCities WA

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

aphaynes,

Welcome from the Great State of North Carolina. Looks like you have a good Mustang to start with. Lots of great members here who will help with all of your questions. By the way, I had a 1970 Torino GT with the shaker hood and top loader four speed. It was cool and fun to drive.

mustang7173 :bravo:

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

Welcome from Iowa. Both Cars look nice.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Hi Alex, ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

I noticed that your car seems to be missing the shock tower braces or did you remove them to work on the engine? Anyway, don't drive without them.

Now that Torino is to die for.

I'll take it off your hands so you have more room in your garage. :)

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Hello from Mississippi. What a great deal to score a Mach 1 and a Torino GT. Back when I took a Mustang break I bought a 70 M code Torino GT. It was a fun car to drive and I vowed to never sell. Then the 72 Gran Torino Sport came out and I was hooked! You'll also find that you can discuss owning other Fords and competitive make vehicles and not be stoned. Welcome to your new Mustang home.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Nice on the refurb option as well as replacement options!! I must admit, I have been struggling to finish some work on the Torino before jumping back into the electrical on the Mustang.

Speaking of....here's a quick pic of the Torino.

xZc0jqIRtvmeHbrdwC4yYTphNHHzjM537OGfz1jd1TA=w1210-h681-no

Alex

Athens, AL

I really like this year Torino!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

Howdy from Phoenix. I like the car a lot. Looks like you found one with some potential!

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 2 weeks later...

nice looking cars!!! I love the Tornio body style. good luck with both car. If u looking to sell the Tornio let me know.

Is wanting every Mustang you see wrong?

Current Mustangs

1965 Fastback

1967 S-Code Coupe

1972 Mach 1 HO

1967 GT fastback K-Code

1995 Gt Conv

2004 GT Conv Supercharged

2007 Shelby Gt500

• 5 months later...