Fuse Box in my 73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salhi_amer

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Ok I was curious and looked under steering column at my wires and fuse box on my 73 Mach 1 and please see picture. My tach doesn't work, does this look normal. What is the yellow wire?

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6228.JPG

You look like you have aluminum foil behind the small 4amp fuse for the dash lamps. The yellow wire is tapped into the non-fused BATT power clip, so that is a potential fire hazard should that line have a short.

In short (pun intended), that fuse box does not look good.

Pretty scary looking fuse box....! Kinda indicates there may be other electrical 'fixes' elsewhere in the harness by previous owners.

You can't, and you probably don't need to. The fusebox can be refurbished easily enough, but you'll have to remove the entire underdash harness to access it properly. If you really really need to replace it, I can sell you one, but you'll have to splice a number of wires and put everything back together again. The 7123 backside of the fusebox is stuffed with wires and it is a major pain to get the green connector box back to the back side without breaking off one of the three retaining posts.

Ok I was curious and looked under steering column at my wires and fuse box on my 73 Mach 1 and please see picture. My tach doesn't work, does this look normal. What is the yellow wire?
It also looks like someone rattle can sprayed it, why I don't know. If you don't have a battery disconnect on the car you need one to unhook the battery every time you park it.

Looks like you need to pull the dash and get to everything and maybe send to painless and get rebuilt before the car burns to the ground.

Bad grounds and bad add on electrical is what burns these cars for sure.

David

If you want your harness fixed.

You can send it to a site supporter - Midlife his name is Randy

In addition to supporting the site. He also answers questions and helps people here.

Doubt painless wiring would do anything for our cars

Don

In addition to supporting the site. He also answers questions and helps people here.

Don
Don,

That was a brain void for me. I meant Midlife I am boxing one up to send myself, lol. That one came from one of those weak brain cells.

Yes sent it to Midlife.

David

has there ever been a greater 'oxymoron' then "painless wiring"?

Don
Don,

That was a brain void for me. I meant Midlife I am boxing one up to send myself, lol. That one came from one of those weak brain cells.

Yes sent it to Midlife.

David
David, that's for clearing that up and Randy does nice work

Don

Back