What's your MPG?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

We finally hit the 500 mile break in milestone, and my son is now driving "Fallout" to high school everyday. Its been quite a journey over the last two years of rebuilding, and worth every scraped knuckle, late night, weekend and penny spent to see him pull out of the driveway with the top down and the music up for the first time!! ::thumb::

Thanks to all on the forum for their support!!

Now that he has a "daily driver" - and is paying to put gas in the tank- my young engineer became curious about gas mileage, so we took it out last weekend to see what we get on the highway. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Tremec and the 3.5:1 rear gear netted us 21 MPG. His daily commute is all city streets (and less than 1 mile) so we're gonna see what that looks like at the end of the week.

For all you daily driver guys- what kinda mileage are you getting with your set-up?

Butch

When I was driving mine (302 with a C4 and 3.00 rear end), I was able to get almost 17 MPG if I drove her conservatively. That was all highway mileage, as most of commuting here is on the highway. I was pretty pleased, if my calculations were correct that is... :)

Oh you mean with the Mustang? :) that's about 15-16 but that is under European driving conditions with freeway speed hardly ever below 80 mph and lots of winding roads where you constantly break and accelerate again.

The 44 mpg is my VW Golf. :) . That's hard to beat. :)

351c H-code with Edlebrock 4 bbl intake and Holley 600cfm Street Avenger w/ 3:25 rear end. 14 - 16 around town, 21 - 23 extended highway driving.

On our annual cruise to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Race Festival from Buffalo (150 miles one-way) is typically 1/3 tank. Not so hot around town, but the start up and warm up (until the choke drops out) is what consumes much of the fuel around town.

71 M code Mach1,mostly stock with a few "Enhancements". When I was "Late Night" drag racing I averaged two tanks of Sunoco 260 a night. Old school folks will remember the Sunoco pumps with the selector lever so you could dial up the good stuff.

Never worried about MPG with this car. Bought for Pleasure per Mile, and it does it WELL!

Good ideal Don. We need to know about your rear ends!!

The before: 351"M", C6 with original 3:00 gear-Best was 12 in town, 18 hwy

Then the after: 351"M", C6 with "R" servo, 2800 stall convertor and 3:50 "Locker" gear-8-10 in town, 15-16 hwy

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, please put your engine, trans and rear gear with your mileage for added benefit.

I got 15 on the highway and 10-12 in town with the M-code, 4 speed, 3:25 rear car that I sold last year. No idea with the others.

Interesting thread.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Its kinda funny that the Mustang gets better mileage on the highway than my Tundra does...and gets much more attention :cool:

Ugh, MPG? Mustangs Per Garage? I get 4 per 3. I installed a lift so I can get four Mustangs in the three car garage. I don't bother to measure any other MPGs as they are all less than 15 and I don't care. :-D

I can get a little over 200 miles out of a tank, so around 10-12 mpg. 3:50 gears, fmx trans, 15" wheels. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
10-12 around town, 18 on the highway

Pretty Stock 351 Q code (other than headers) with 4 speed stick and 3.5 (I think)

My first drive in teh car was a long highway run and I was pleasantly surprised. I was also surprised how much it dropped when I started measuring local driving.

I'm afraid to even consider checking it out.

Plus if I wanted an old car that got good gas mileage, I would have bought a 66 Beetle.
Okay, I genuinely laughed out loud at that one.

I get about 10mpg. 351C/C6/3.5/gear vendors (see sig for more details)

I used to get about 7 before I put in the GV. I don't drive it enough for the GV to pay for itself but highway speeds are much nicer and the extra gear is fun between second and third.

Maybe it's the three carbs? Maybe it's the way I drive?

351c H-code with Edlebrock 4 bbl intake and Holley 600cfm Street Avenger w/ 3:25 rear end. 14 - 16 around town, 21 - 23 extended highway driving.

On our annual cruise to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Race Festival from Buffalo (150 miles one-way) is typically 1/3 tank. Not so hot around town, but the start up and warm up (until the choke drops out) is what consumes much of the fuel around town.

Bill,

Is that with an auto or manual transmission?

Bill,

Is that with an auto or manual transmission?
C-6 w/ CJ Torque Converter (2400 stall)

Back