Name that Sound - engine noise?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpdj61

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang mach 1
I fired up my 72 Mustang the other day and heard a new sound for the first time. It is sort of like you took a metal nut, put it inside a metal container and shook it a bunch. I think the sound is coming from the front end of the motor, around the distributor/water pump area. It might be coming from the driver side valve cover. I haven't had a chance to use the screwdriver to the ear method but was wondering if anybody out there has heard this sound before or has any idea what it could be.

I have a video clip of the engine idling. I will see if I can figure out how to post it.

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess the water pump went out. That's the noise they make.

X2

Grab the fan (with the engine off :) ) and see if the water pump shaft moves up and down. Just might not be leaking, but will if so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound seems to be coming from front and center. Also it is not a repetitive sound. Sort of erratic and it does seem to quiet down some as the engine warms up.

Scott

Pull the belts off the front and start it up and see if the noise goes away. That would rule out the WP or another front drive component.

Sound seems to be coming from front and center. Also it is not a repetitive sound. Sort of erratic and it does seem to quiet down some as the engine warms up.

Scott
Scott, With what sounds like metal floating around, there's a potential for some serious damages by continuing to run it. Hopefully it's just the water pump, keep us posted.

Back