Trans Swap Problems V3

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande 351 Cleveland/FMX stock
1973 Mach1 LS2/T56
I have no idea what is going on but for whatever reason the texts in my previous two posts have just disappeared so blame that on the cruel mistress of the internet. For the fourth time now, I have swapped a t5 behind my 351 Cleveland in place of my fmx. Everything is already put together and all that is left is the starter. However, the modern driveline blockplate is different from the stock one so the original starter does not seat correctly into the starter hole because it hits the block. I called Modern Driveline and they said a foxbody starter would work. As it turns out it doesn't. the starter fits yes but, the mounting holes do not line up. So my question is has anyone done this swap with this company or another? and if you have did you run into this problem? Or should I just trailer my product of two years of labor down to Arizona and push this raging headache into the Grand Canyon?

I see three posts on the topic by you.

For the starter, what application was the first starter you tried? Not sure what bellhousing you are using, but I would match the starter to that application (whatever the bellhousing came out of).

I see three posts on the topic by you.

For the starter, what application was the first starter you tried? Not sure what bellhousing you are using, but I would match the starter to that application (whatever the bellhousing came out of).
The Bellhousing is meant for the foxbody year mustangs but like I have said I tried that starter and one that is meant for the fmx

The block plate you use must match the bell housing you are using. There are two flywheels, large 164 tooth and small 157 tooth. It sounds like you have a blockage for the large flywheel but are using a small flywheel. Are you using 5.0L stuff for the clutch? Unfortunately, I think you need to switch block plates...

The block plate you use must match the bell housing you are using. There are two flywheels, large 164 tooth and small 157 tooth. It sounds like you have a blockage for the large flywheel but are using a small flywheel. Are you using 5.0L stuff for the clutch? Unfortunately, I think you need to switch block plates...
The Bellhousing and the block plate are the same I purchased them both new from modern driveline. I originally had the 164 tooth flywheel with the fmx and now I have the 157 along with a 5.0 clutch and pressure plate. The Tech at Modern Driveline said that I should be able to use the starter for the 164 tooth flywheel but, the block plate forces the starter into the side of the block. There is a lip where the block plate meets the bellhousing. I considered grinding that down to make it flush, thoughts?

undefined

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered grinding that down to make it flush, thoughts?
I wouldn't.

Somewhere there's a combo that properly bolts up. Can't be too many to choose from.

Sorry I can't help more, haven't run into this situation before myself.

73-

If its any consolation, we went through the same gyrations when doing our swap. The initial block plate was an issue, then the bell housing /starter combo wouldn't work. Even though we read "plug and play" into these "kits" available, there is still trial and error- and that's what makes great stories over cold beer!! BTW, an added benefit of our experience- through repetition, I learned how to drop that tranny in about 45 minutes! LOL. When it all works out, you're going to love it.

Butch

Back