Burning Horn

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForSaleNo

Reaction score
My Car
2nd Owner; 1971 302 V8 2V Coupe
Hi, for some odd reason my padded horn is starting to melt and my car won't start..there's nothing wrong with the battery all connections to it are clean...so I disconnected the battery, and the horn to prevent a fire....any suggestions as to what the cause is? and where I can buy a new spoke padded horn? ~Syl~ Horn 1.jpegHorn 2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Best guess. The switch inside the horn pad is shorting , draining the battery, the contact could be low not enough to blow the horn but enough to cause heat over time and melt the rubber.

Inside the rubber of the pad are these flat carbon ribbons when you push the pad the contacts touch sounding the horn. The rubber degrades over time so part of the ribbons can touch which is a short that generates heat. The contact could either be strong enough to blow the horn or not.

Replace the pad and then keep an eye on things.

They make reproduction pads in black only from what I have seen so you need to dye it other colors with the special paint. The switch costs about 30$ don at Ohio mustang carries it.

http://ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1741

They make all the other parts reproduction to restore a steering wheel so you could replace the running horse emblem or just reuse all your original undamged parts for the swap.

They have copper contact strips in them - the plastic housing cracks and make it contact / short - haven't seen one melt like that though ?

I have all the pieces new - also have some used assemblies

Might want a pad too as the originals shrink

Don

Click to view: 70-73 STEERING WHEEL HORN PAD, 2 SPOKE Item #D0AZ-3623

70-73 STEERING WHEEL HORN PAD, 2 SPOKE

Correct grain texture as original, black. Reproduction steering wheel pad. Price: $49.95

Add To Shopping Cart

Click to view: 70-73 STEERING WHEEL HORN SWITCH ASSEMBLY Item #D2AZ-13875

70-73 STEERING WHEEL HORN SWITCH ASSEMBLY

Two spoke steering wheel horn blow switch assembly. Two special pressure switches with connection terminals installed into black plastic frame. Reproduction. Price: $79.95

Add To Shopping Cart

Click to view: 70-73 STEERING WHEEL HORN SWITCH TRIM PLATE Item #D1ZZ-13932

70-73 STEERING WHEEL HORN SWITCH TRIM PLATE

Deluxe horn blow switch trim plate for 2 spoke steering wheel. Simulated wood grain trimmed plate. Replaces Ford part number D1ZZ13932. Reproduction. Price: $31.95

Add To Shopping Cart

Item #D1ZZ-13915

70-73 HORN SWITCH COVER, DELUXE

Exact reproduction deluxe horn vinyl switch cover for 2 spoke steering wheels. Correct grain texture. For use with woodgrain trim plate. Black rubber only. Emblem available separately. Price: $22.95

Add To Shopping Cart

Back