Eagle rods and piston pin

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I am going to buy a set of Eagle H-beam rods for my 351C, and they say the small hole is .913, and the pistons I'm looking at say they come with a .912 pin. Is this going to be a problem or is the .001" not a problem? Also they say to use 351w bearings, anybody know why?

If you are using full floating pins then you are ok. This requires retaining clips on both sides of the pin in the pistons. Otherwise if it is supposed to be a press fit pin, then it will not work as you have 0.001" clearance between pin and rod. Call the store you are buying the pistons from to make sure that they will work with your rods.

Well I just checked JEGS catalog and they have the same part listed with a pin hole size of .912. Not sure if the Summit site .913 is a typo? Does anybody know if I can run the Eagle rods with a press fit piston?

Well I just checked JEGS catalog and they have the same part listed with a pin hole size of .912. Not sure if the Summit site .913 is a typo? Does anybody know if I can run the Eagle rods with a press fit piston?
Any H-beam rod I've seen over the years have all been floating pins. I'm not sure if Eagle are still making their I-beam rods for Clevelands, but they came in either press fit or floating pin and used a few sets many years ago in some pretty stout street engines without ant problems. I heard years ago (been out of the trade for 12 years) that they apparently stopped making the I-beam sets as their stroker cranks are suited for SBC rods, but don't know if that's true or not.

Back