I thought I had the original 8-track radio until today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Today I was looking at my radio and realized that it is part number D6ZF-19A242 (see picture). I can't find anything about it in the internet, but I assume it is from a 1976. Does anyone know anything about this P/N?

I want at least FM, so since I don't have the original radio I am in the market for an AM/FM 8-track radio. The 123 Mustangs did not seem to come with one of these from factory, only AM/8, am I correct? Even if they are not original I still would like to have the 8-track player so it looks vintage. I see a few "Ford" AM/FM/8 radios in ebay. Any other sources for these?

Thank you.

20150817_221427_resized.jpg

20150818_110757_resized.jpg

My 73 vert had an AM/FM stereo radio according to the Marti report. It had been replaced with an aftermarket AM/FM Cassette unit when I got it. I installed an AM/FM CD unit back in 95.

To get 8-track in a 71-3 car, you had to sacrifice FM. So Sdstang is correct.

Which is exactly why the aftermarket radios were really popular mods back in the day.

Heck they still are.

Just had a friend spend about $2500 on a new audio-visual system in his new truck. Mostly hidden speakers but sounds incredible. -And zero panel/trim buzz.

Ray

Yup 8 tracks for the mustang were AM only.

if i remember the big difference from 71 to 72 on the radio was the faceplate no longer said mustang on it, and 72-73 added a stereo left/right equalizer underneath the buttons.

I found a lot of information out there against using the Classic Car Stereos due to manufacturing issues. These radios looked pretty cool, though.

What I am contemplating is finding a later model AM/FM/8 stereo and then do the AUX plug hack. I don't need the latest HiFi audio in this car. This website lists several hacks, http://tag.wonderhowto.com/car-radio-hack/. Even though the AUX plug is an easy and well published hack, I am wondering if I can make a USB hack in the old radio to connect an iPod that will charge it and turn it on/off as needed (though the iPod's 30-pin connector). Has anyone seen an iPod USB hack published some where?

Edit: I guess I could connect the iPod to the radio through the AUX plug hack and then add a USB 30-pin charger cable to connect to the iPod. I could have all this hidden behind the dash or glove box. I will then need to make two connections to the iPod, the speakerphone AUX plug and the 30-pin cable every time I need to use it.

Edit 2: searching the internet keeps answering my questions. I guess I could use this adapter, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3429795&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&scid=scplp636493&gclid=CL-v-ojjtccCFYM9aQodO8ALOA

Anyone has experience with this one? It seems that this could be the solution to what I am looking for, at least in paper.

So the question with this adapter is if the iPod will stop/play or turn on/off when the power supply is on/off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been searching and reading a lot of options. I saw your thread imusa76, thanks. It is an option.

Does any one have experience with KC Harrison KHE 100 radio? It has a vintagish look. I did not find any threads discussing it.

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=3&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=414&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=67 or

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=365&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=67

Mustangs Unlimited has it for $229, http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=KHE41+01

Ok so I have some related questions to this thread but it is too late to grab pics tonight.

I keep reading and researching and now I am seriously contemplating the RetroSound Hermosa HB-226-55-75, http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/1969-73-f39-hermosa.htm. Even though it is pricey option, of the new retro looking radios this is the brand with best reviews. It can be had for $279 at Summit or other suppliers. I searched in the forum and did not find any entries for the Hermosa. Any feedback?

I like the fact that apparently you can control a USB drive via the controls. I would have preferred that it had the "analog" look of the CCS or KC Harrison radios. I think these two look better but the reviews seem awful.

If you can find a working one, the late-1970's Lincolns had quadrasonic AM/FM 8-tracks which will look as if it belonged there in the first place. Should bolt right in after removing the Lincoln's adapter plate:

2.jpg

Ford also had a funky digital display version (later a cassette player in the Mark IV and early-'80s Town Cars based on the same faceplate), but making it look right in the Mustang's bezel may never happen - and it does look rather modern.

79MKV-28.JPG

-Kurt

If you can find a working one, the late-1970's Lincolns had quadrasonic AM/FM 8-tracks which will look as if it belonged there in the first place. Should bolt right in after removing the Lincoln's adapter plate:

2.jpg

Ford also had a funky digital display version (later a cassette player in the Mark IV and early-'80s Town Cars based on the same faceplate), but making it look right in the Mustang's bezel may never happen - and it does look rather modern.

79MKV-28.JPG

-Kurt
So what kind of player is this? I gather from the previous comment about the lack of AM/FM option on a stock 72 Mustang that this is from something else. Whadda ya'know whadda you say?

8 track player.jpeg

Im pretty sure thats an Audiovox...how do I know, from this post! I just started reading it and found out my am/fm 8-track isn't original as well...its almost identical to the one you posted. It was installed in the 70's but not original...oh well, it still works and I've started collecting 8-tracks from thrift stores in the area.

Like others have said I have seen AM/FM 8 tracks on ebay that look like they were for the Mustang but came in other Ford vehicles. I think it was an option on the Pickup also. I have three cars with AM/8 Track and two with AM/FM. I just spent days taking an expensive Pioneer system and 2 amps and boom box out of one of my convertibles. I don't spend enough time in the vehicles to really need a top of the line stereo. Neat to see some of the young kids say "what the heck is that" when they look at and 8 track. All the parts needed to keep the player running and the tapes in shape are available on the net so keep them playing.

David

If you want authentic 8track for the car you need to find a Pioneer super tuner TP-900 that bolts "underdash" ha ha ha ! And you smash yer shin on it every time you get in the car. Hard to believer the industry used the term "underdash"....and dont forget you will need a matchbook to shove under the plastic 8track to make it play the correct track. Those Columbia House 8tracks always seemed to be the worst. Trying to hear "Black Dog" was always tricky.

I am still torn between getting the AM/FM/8 player and then adapting it to play from a USB memory stick, or going the Retrosound route. The later gives me a lot more control over the music played via the USB port.

I am still torn between getting the AM/FM/8 player and then adapting it to play from a USB memory stick, or going the Retrosound route. The later gives me a lot more control over the music played via the USB port.
Im thinking of going low-class and getting one of these....

retro-vintage-sparkomatic-8track-cassette-tape-adaptor-1stopretroshop-w511142-2.jpg

with this....(saw the setup on youtube)

index.jpg

And then I'm hi-tech!

Im thinking of going low-class and getting one of these....

with this....(saw the setup on youtube)

And then I'm hi-tech!
I thought of that option. However you can improve it by taking the inner guts of the tape adapter and welding them into the 8-track adapter. In this manner you have only one source of noise instead of two. Basically, as far as I understand, the voltage of the 8-track heads is the same as the tape heads. Theoretically speaking you could:

-open the tape adapter and cut the wires that go to the head.

-open the 8-track adapter.

-Cut the wires that go to the 8-track head.

-Bring all the electronics from the tape adapter and place them inside the 8-track adapter.

-Solder the wires that you cut from the tape adapter's head to the 8-track head.

-Once you do the electronic part of it, you may be able to disconnect the 8-track adapter's gear system since you don't need to turn a tape anymore.

Back