Bluetooth Audio System, Stealth Style

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terlingua_RS

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
When it comes to audio systems for our cars it's a personal choice. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes in what they want to see in their cars. Modern units , Retro style, original stock, it's all good.

I thought about this for a long time.

I kind of knew what I didn't want in an audio system. I didn't want modern unit in dash, or retro , I didn't want to carry around CD's or cassettes. I tinkered with the idea of mounting a modern style unit in the glove box and use a remote to control the unit. That idea stuck with me the longest and started looking around for a unit that I wanted and will fit. But I wasn't 100% on board with that idea.

When I'm out in the garage working on my 73 I always bring out my portable Bose Bluetooth speaker and play Sirius satellite radio on my iphone using the app. One day it finally hit me. That's what I want. I only want to play whatever I have on my iphone. I did a search online for some kind of Bluetooth receiver for autos. I didn't know what I was looking for because I didn't even know it something like that existed.

Found it ! Boss audio ( how appropriate ::thumb:: too bad Mach audio doesn't make one ) has something that is made for utility vehicles. ATV's Buggys, etc. Bluetooth receiver box that puts out 500 watts total, 4 channel and is compatible with an amplifier. Perfect !, just what I was looking for.

So from there I got a little crazy. I ordered that Bluetooth unit, found a Boss 1000 watt amp, 10" Boss shallow mount subwoofers, 6x9 JL speakers, Plye 5x7's for the doors.

Holy crap where the heck am I going to put all this stuff. Well again, more research, thinking, planning on how to make it all fit in the car and still look tasteful.

My goal was to have a the original radio in dash, but have modern system that isn't visible. Kinda like a car that they would call a sleeper but in an audio system. I want to hear the music but not see where it's coming from.

I knew I needed an enclosure to house the subwoofers and amp. So I looked for premade stuff for a while. Nothing agreed with me. I find more often than not, when I build something it needs to have more than one purpose. That's when I figured I would need to build my own.

I made a template out of cardboard, trimmed it, trial and error, in and out of the car so many times until I got it right. The one thing I noticed is that the enclosure I was creating actually has more than one purpose.

#1, It finishes off the clean look of the trunk area. For us guys that don't have a fold down rear seat, the far end of the trunk up towards the back seat is pretty ugly.

#2, it will hold subwoofers and amp, allowing for all the wires to be run underneath it on the backside.

#3, my carpeted floor mat stops just short of the hump that goes up by the shock absorber access holes. It looked terrible seeing the carpet all nice then just stop short of that area. this enclosure starts where the carpet ends giving it that custom finished look.

Gathering all the materials all at once was impossible. When I knew what I needed it was usually the weekend and I either had to go to a store or go online and order it. Slowing this whole process down. It took a month and a half of weekends to complete it. I did not expect it to take that long but once I got into it I knew I was going to have a long haul. just the wiring alone drove me nuts. From the receiver, 4 sets of wires to the back, into amp, out of amp, 2 sets of wires going back forward to the doors, power hookups, grounds, remotes :huh: ugh.

I replaced the rear parcel shelf , drilled holes and covered it with enclosure material. I covered the trunk enclosure with the same material. I also covered the backside of the door speaker grilles with the same material so you cant see the speaker through the grille.

I also made sure the entire trunk enclosure can be removed if needed. Figured in easy disconnects and labeled all the wires so if it comes out, I know where it all goes. I pre bent braces and screwed them to the back seat area and into the enclosure to keep it from moving.

Also made mounting brackets out of aluminum bar for Bluetooth receiver unit that I mounted in the glove box. There is a perfect mounting spot for the brackets in there. I attached a photo of that install process. The Bluetooth unit also has aux input, an additional output and a USB charging plug for the phone. I only left the USB plug hang down inside the glove box, the rest is tucked away.

The Bluetooth unit has a wired remote that I put inside the upper compartment in the center dash. When I got my car someone cut the top off the compartment so I didn't feel so bad in drilling a hole in the back of it to run the wire harness. It fits nicely in there, easy to reach and I have cut a piece of enclosure material to place in front of that remote unit to keep it hidden if I wanted. I had several other location possibilities for the remote. Sacrifice the ash tray and mount it inside under the slide cover or inside the center console storage area somewhere. I felt the easiest access and safer area to reach would be the center dash.

Finally, it's done and it sounds great !. I am completely satisfied on how it turned out. I hear the crisp clear high pitch sounds out of the door speakers, great bass out of the 6x9's and the subwoofers do their job and compliment the whole package.

And now all the pictures.

rear shelf

2rgnxup.jpg

n67thd.jpg

2v2w3gn.jpg

enclosure build

9bazx3.jpg

5wi3y8.jpg

2qv5sva.jpg

2u5xqu8.jpg

2pphimv.jpg

ddf9yb.jpg

2eed8ub.jpg

2ns99tw.jpg

maf1nb.jpg

Shallow mount subwoofer just makes it with 1/4" clearance

2psmyl5.jpg

Bluetooth receiver mounting brackets on template

c3l2e.jpg

Glove box mount

bff2g8.jpg

w82vjk.jpg

you cant see it from the passenger seat unless you look up inside

1zq7vo0.jpg

Remote

2hf2jpe.jpg

33osite.jpg

16hj805.jpg

I cut to fit a piece of enclosure material to sit in front of remote if I wanted it to be totally hidden. It's just set in place.

f9fwp0.jpg

4l2joo.jpg

Door speaker covering. 3M adhesive around perimeter on both halves to hold in place.

nwyj9w.jpg

nxnjv8.jpg

nnlfg6.jpg

106d5xz.jpg

Finished rear deck shelf, hidden speakers

2a7dg9g.jpg

Finished

2lstg8.jpg

rkq053.jpg

Hi Rick,

Wow! Great job and write up! You have taken an interesting approach but an effective one as well, and you've gotten the payoff. I love the hidden speakers look too. Nice custom work for the trunk sub speakers and amp as well.

I went a different way with my '73 Mach 1, due to the fold down seat arrangement i have. Thanks for the write up and pics.::thumb::

Greg.:)

New guy and what a way to make a splash in the pool! Good job with the stealth audio write up!
:thankyouyellow:

Austin Vert, I like your idea too for your speaker install. It is much more challenging to find a way to have rear speakers with the fold down seat without cutting holes somewhere. Good job, nice write up too.

Video doesn't capture the audio quality but you get the idea.

[video=youtube]

To one up my trunk mounted enclosure and make it totally hidden, it might be possible to mount the amp on the backside of the board or up on the underside of the rear shelf and recess in the subwoofers, cover over it with the enclosure material. The only problem might be clearance for the shallow mount subwoofers. The front of the enclosure would have to be raised about 2.5" and the rear upper part about 1" higher.

Thanks for the write-up, and the inspiration! :bravo:

I went with a Retrosound Model 2 head unit, Retrosound 4x7s (doors) and 6x9s (rear deck). I didn't want to cut any holes in the rear deck, so I used some Retrosound spacers... and I'm not sure I like them all that much. But, I have louvers so it's not like they'll be an eyesore to the casual observer or anything.

The Model 2 came with 2 USBs and 2 1/8" stereo jacks, one of which I ran into my center console, and the other into the glove box. I have some 32GB USB flash drives loaded up with tons of tunes, and the system also has Bluetooth for hands-free calling as well as streaming audio. I had thought about adding a CD changer, but that'll just take up more room somewhere, and I'll wind up just storing those CDs more than anything, since they won't get played much (like the ones that lived in the changer in my '97 Ram once I got a better head unit).

The inspiration comes from your sub/amp solution in the trunk. I have a pair of MTX Terminator 10" subs and a matching 600 watt Terminator amp to go with them. The Model 2 has all the necessary outputs to run everything, and so far the sound out of the door/deck speaker running on head-unit power are doing just fine. I still need to design and build an enclosure/amp perch for my stuff in the trunk, but your solution is a great place to start. I'll probably go with some proper enclosures (ported as well, since I've always preferred ported to sealed boxes) with the subs firing into the seat back (I didn't punch holes in my package tray insert like you did... now I wish I had. ;)

Again - nicely done! Very clean and professional. ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Hi Eric,

Just picked up on a point you made above about your CDs. I am a big music collector, being a hobby of mine for many a year, and i have accumulated about 3000 Cds, and went to the trouble of transferring the music content from the CDs to good quality MP3 format, and stored all the music on my desktop computer hard drive. On that basis, i can again transfer any songs i want to a jump drive USB stick from the Cd collection stored on my hard drive.

You could consider doing the same thing yourself. The only draw back would be time taken to do the transfers, and maybe you have not got the software or knowledge to change the format to MP3. Maybe you have - i don't know. In any case, that's something to think about.

All the best,

Greg.:)

That was my point talking about the flash drives. I have a lot of CDs myself... but lately it's been more about MP3s. I would say the majority of my CDs are in MP3 format now, mostly because I've acquired the digital copies over the years.

Ripping CDs is no big deal, but I haven't gotten around to getting everything done. Honestly, I've got so much music that if I don't it all done anytime soone (or ever, for that matter), I still have plenty to listen to. I'm one of those that would have a CD in the changer and listen to it over and over anyway. As much as I like my music, it's still just a part of my road trips - having specific or particular tunes at my fingertips isn't a mandatory requirement.

If it makes more sense, I'm also one of those people that don't really care what restaurant we go to... I will find something enjoyable to eat no matter what. ;)

Back