Special Paint Factory Black 73 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Went to Dearborn and picked up the car and also went to the Mustang Memories 2015 show which I will post pictures and info on another thread.

About a 650 trip up from N.C. and arrived at the owners home at 9:00 am as planned. Since we wanted to attend the show and also hit the Henry Ford museum we made a plan to leave the car there until Tuesday morning. The owner had tons of parts and I bought everything I could pack in the car, my truck inside, in the bed and two NASA hoods with locks on the bed cover. Got some great consoles I will be offering and a factory set of black door panels that are mint.

The car was better than I expected it being a Michigan car. The saving thing was that it had zebart coating that stopped the rust. There are no holes in the trunk or outer skin and the only rusty place in the floor is under the rear seat where the top leaked and got on unprotected metal. There is some rust on the inner fenders. Front cross member is like new. I don't have a lift to get good underbody pictures but will try to get some over the weekend. The engine starts and runs but transmission had leaked out fluid and have not filled and tried it. A little over 72,000 miles on the clock. I have not cleaned or washed the car yet has the 13 years of dust on everything. The interior looks like it will clean up nice.

I got the Marti, attached, today and they asked for proof of the color so they can tell me how many black cars there were. There were a total of 144 special paint / trim code cars made in 1973 so I expect the number of black to be pretty low. There were 277 with just special paint codes. The original door sticker was on the car and you can see the inspectors stamps above it and the black around the edges of the sticker. The underside of the trunk looks factory with the jack instructions intact.

The previous two owners must have added several options since it also has long console, rear bumper guards, power disc brakes, racing mirrors, rear black out panel, rocker moldings and a C-6 that shows on the door sticker but must not have been a cost upgrade since it does not show as an option. There is also a working AM/FM with door speakers and a three spoke wheel that is off a cougar. I will have to get pic of the buck tag to see if there is info there on the paint / Trim options.

Since I already have 6 convertibles I have put this car on craigslist in Atlanta and Charlotte to see if there is any interest. I have not set a price will take interesting trades and offers.

BTW I pulled it back on a rental dolly, driveshaft out, with the inside of the car and trunk packed with stuff. The tires were at least 13 years old sitting in garage not driven that long. I ran 60 - 65 mph on the trip back and they did not heat up and no issues. The right axle bearing got a little hotter than the left but that was all I noticed in the stops for gas and food.

I have got to quit buying and sell some I have too many and now I have 7 consoles, and 4 NASA hoods lol.

Ask any questions if your interested in the car and I will take any pictures requested. I am located in Western North Carolina near Asheville if you want to come view the car.

David

3F03H228536_dlxrpt.pdf

DSC_0397.JPG

DSC_0369.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

DSC_0377.JPG

DSC_0379.JPG

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0391.JPG

DSC_0398.JPG

DSC_0396.JPG

Attachments

• 3F03H228536_dlxrpt.pdf
    378.5 KB · Views: 12
Well Damn. I was is Asheville this past weekend. I should have kept updated on the forum posts. Beautiful area. Drove up to Mount Mitchell on Sunday after going to the race in Bristol on Saturday. Posted some pics. I highly recommend a trip to this area.

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

Well Damn. I was is Asheville this past weekend. I should have kept updated on the forum posts. Beautiful area. Drove up to Mount Mitchell on Sunday after going to the race in Bristol on Saturday. Posted some pics. I highly recommend a trip to this area.
Wish you had stopped by. Have lived here all my life and my grandfather had land in the Linville area, cut timber had a saw mill and a general store. He bought farm land where I live now and raised 9 children on a self sufficient farm.

It is usually quite cool on Mt. Mitchell. I have hunter Linville Gorge many times really tough trails.

I got the car cleaned up washed, hit it with mirror glaze and wax. Vacuumed the interior and washed. Sprayed the engine down with

Gunk and pressure washed. It looks pretty good now. I just put it on cl in Asheville with pictures after cleaning. I also have it in Charlotte and Atlanta but the pictures were before cleaning. After having my hands all over it I want to keep it but don't need another project. The trunk has absolutely on rust and no holes in the body. There are little dents and dings for 20 years of use and sitting in garage 13 years with stuff piled all over it but it is a very solid convertible. Might pull the seats out and see if build sheet is hidden still. The buck tag is gone corner is there but tag gone. Here is the link for cl.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5188808362.html

Did you hit any of our breweries or wineries? They say we are now the hot spot in the U.S. due to the great water here.

David

Went to Dearborn and picked up the car and also went to the Mustang Memories 2015 show which I will post pictures and info on another thread.

About a 650 trip up from N.C. and arrived at the owners home at 9:00 am as planned. Since we wanted to attend the show and also hit the Henry Ford museum we made a plan to leave the car there until Tuesday morning. The owner had tons of parts and I bought everything I could pack in the car, my truck inside, in the bed and two NASA hoods with locks on the bed cover. Got some great consoles I will be offering and a factory set of black door panels that are mint.

The car was better than I expected it being a Michigan car. The saving thing was that it had zebart coating that stopped the rust. There are no holes in the trunk or outer skin and the only rusty place in the floor is under the rear seat where the top leaked and got on unprotected metal. There is some rust on the inner fenders. Front cross member is like new. I don't have a lift to get good underbody pictures but will try to get some over the weekend. The engine starts and runs but transmission had leaked out fluid and have not filled and tried it. A little over 72,000 miles on the clock. I have not cleaned or washed the car yet has the 13 years of dust on everything. The interior looks like it will clean up nice.

I got the Marti, attached, today and they asked for proof of the color so they can tell me how many black cars there were. There were a total of 144 special paint / trim code cars made in 1973 so I expect the number of black to be pretty low. There were 277 with just special paint codes. The original door sticker was on the car and you can see the inspectors stamps above it and the black around the edges of the sticker. The underside of the trunk looks factory with the jack instructions intact.

The previous two owners must have added several options since it also has long console, rear bumper guards, power disc brakes, racing mirrors, rear black out panel, rocker moldings and a C-6 that shows on the door sticker but must not have been a cost upgrade since it does not show as an option. There is also a working AM/FM with door speakers and a three spoke wheel that is off a cougar. I will have to get pic of the buck tag to see if there is info there on the paint / Trim options.

Since I already have 6 convertibles I have put this car on craigslist in Atlanta and Charlotte to see if there is any interest. I have not set a price will take interesting trades and offers.

BTW I pulled it back on a rental dolly, driveshaft out, with the inside of the car and trunk packed with stuff. The tires were at least 13 years old sitting in garage not driven that long. I ran 60 - 65 mph on the trip back and they did not heat up and no issues. The right axle bearing got a little hotter than the left but that was all I noticed in the stops for gas and food.

I have got to quit buying and sell some I have too many and now I have 7 consoles, and 4 NASA hoods lol.

Ask any questions if your interested in the car and I will take any pictures requested. I am located in Western North Carolina near Asheville if you want to come view the car.

David
Hi David,

The car looks good.. Glad you made it home safe with the car. It was nice meeting you and your "gal" hope to see you at another show in the future.

Can't wait to see some of the pictures you took at Mustang Memories I'm sure you have some great shots. Keep in touch Larry & Starr

Back