The skinny on distibutors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I have read so much info about distibutors my head is spinning. I would really like to keep my ram air, but as we all know, most aftermarket dizzy's won't allow this. I plan to build a 6200rpm cleveland and want to run a duraspark unit. I read all the sales articles on the different distibutors and they say theirs is the best, but then I read where somebodies failed. I have read several times now that most people get too carried away with their ignition system, and install drag race quality ignitions in their engines. (not a bad thing, just overkill). I admittedly want a good street cruiser capable of hitting 6200rpm when the urge hits. Is a duraspark good enough for this? Who is running one in a 6000rpm + car?

I take my duraspark distributor up to 6000 rpms about every time I take my car for a drive:D

My setup includes a ballast resistor, an autozone duraspark ignition box, a TFI ignition coil from a mid 90's f150 and a recurved distributor set to 38* total timing with the spark plugs gapped to .045". It runs perfect and never misses a beat.

I'm a big fan of the stock Duraspark distributor coupled with an MSD ignition unit. You can keep your stock cap and rotor to clear the air cleaner housing. Lots of options on the ignition box these days and you don't need to butcher your harness to make it work. I've run simple reman units from Autozone/Advance for years without issues, just throw a recurve kit in it if you please. The other part is you keep your vacuum advance so your mileage and driveability doesn't go down the toilet...

I'm a big fan of the stock Duraspark distributor coupled with an MSD ignition unit. You can keep your stock cap and rotor to clear the air cleaner housing. Lots of options on the ignition box these days and you don't need to butcher your harness to make it work. I've run simple reman units from Autozone/Advance for years without issues, just throw a recurve kit in it if you please. The other part is you keep your vacuum advance so your mileage and driveability doesn't go down the toilet...
+1 on the Duraspark and 6A(L) box. MSD makes a pigtail that adapts the wiring. If you have a factory tach you will also need their tach adapter.

Like Mikes73 I am also a proponent of the TFI coil. You can get a Standard Motor Products TFI coil from any parts store for about $30. SMP also makes a pigtail to go with it.

If the instance of Duraspark failure you're referring to is when I smoked two Duraspark boxes, that's because I changed my wiring configuration trying to "fix" an NPD wiring harness inconsistency pointed out by one of our other members. His efforts were very successful for him... mine, not so much. I don't know why, and it kinda doesn't matter, since mine ran fine before and after I reverted back to that original configuration - I haven't smoked a box, had a misfire, hiccup, failure to start, or anything since then.

I'm just saying, don't let that experience sway your opinion of Duraspark - that's one isolated case of me playing with my ignition system, without having to worry about whether or not it was going to get me to work the next day or not. If you improperly wire up any ignition system, something's going to get smoked. ;)

Keep it up, and you're pretty much going to have my engine in your car (which if you remember, I did post a laundry list of all my goodies when you first inquired). Not that it would be a bad thing - I like my engine... it's a beast. :cool:

My 630 horsepower 521 has a recurved Duraspark on it.It will turn 6500 with no issues MSD 6al box.You won't have any problems.Look inside a Duraspark and a MSD together sometime.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I think I will go will a duraspark unit as I too feel 6200 is not un-doable for it. Thanks.
there is no benefit to that over an msd unit which is full time multi fire, which will in fact not only increase your hp, it will also increase your mileage.

in addition, the mechanical advance in your distributor will need to be modified so the timing curve is optimum for your engine.

failure to do this defeats the purpose of building a high perf engine.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I think I will go will a duraspark unit as I too feel 6200 is not un-doable for it. Thanks.
there is no benefit to that over an msd unit which is full time multi fire, which will in fact not only increase your hp, it will also increase your mileage.

in addition, the mechanical advance in your distributor will need to be modified so the timing curve is optimum for your engine.

There is plenty of benefit when you're trying to continue using factory Ram Air components. ;)

There is plenty of benefit when you're trying to continue using factory Ram Air components. ;)
i was talking about a duraspark box over an msd box . . the msd distributors themselves are not multi spark . . a modified ford distributor will work just fine and the msd box can be added if desired . . sorry about the confusion.

Back