• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Ram Air Hood Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tops1023

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 Grabber Green
I have a 71 Boss 351 and the Hood Springs are weak do to the extra weight of the ram air and its age. And I am looking for NOS springs. Mine aren't painted they look to be oil coated.

Thanks Rod

For the hood with the air scoops. You should have the flat wire springs. They are the heavy duty version.
The hood springs are flat they and are the original springs on the boss 351. Which came with ram air system. They will hold the hood up if you hold it in place for a while. But they are getting weak and need to be replaced.

I lucked out and found NOS ones for mine. I've read that the new aftermarket ones will work and it never did for me. They're hard to find and can cost some $$ when you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I am lucky my car did not come with ram air was not an option on 73 with Q code. I did order with NASA hood and ordered the ram air separate. The hood stayed up fine even with the ram air and hood locks. It still stays up and it did come with the flat springs.

The hinges and springs have a phosphate coating or parkerized finish and yes they applied oil. The same finish is used on the caps for the front shocks and the hood latch mechanism. Some of the brackets on the engine also had this finish. Ford used it on things that had moving parts paint would have made them sticky and not work smoothly. Parking brake inside also has it. You can order the material online and after glass bead blast recoat the parts.

I have an extra set of hinges with the flat springs but was saving for a project with ram air. The guy I got them from last week had refinished them so they are ready to go. Inserted a pic so maybe a member will have what you need by looking at the flat springs.

I would think you could put another smaller spring inside the stock on and add some tension and would be difficult to see. Also I think Don has new replacement springs.

David

DSC_0453.JPG

Back