chrome bumper painted body color?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
Anyone have a picture of their 71 or 72 with a chrome bumper painted body color?

I like the urethane bumper but like the sleekness of the chrome. Wondering if anyone has painted a chrome body color.

I know I have a pic somewhere but I can't find it.

I might go that route soon because the chrome on mine has worn through in places and there are no rechromers around here.

Still looks really cool.
Yup!!

I´m spending some time on Google as I have some time on my hands.

Here´s a cool one I found:

1971-Mustang-Fastback-After.jpg

I really dig the look of this one. If I understand this correctly, this was our user "Wide Body"s car before he started to modify it.

IMG_5036.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here´s a pretty famous one from the Tarantino movie "Death Proof":

brandx.jpg

This one is pretty nice.

Funny thing is I did the exact same thing with my standard grille, painted it body color with the blacked out center but with the yellow it did not work at all.

This one looks pretty good though. Funny how a different color will allow you to do something that another color won´t.

32192280002_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect timing, since I'm planning to do the same with mine.

I like the longer urethane bumper look on my old '73 Mach, but like the OP mentioned, I think the shorter, tighter, chrome version would look better painted on my '71 Grande.

Others will be more knowledgeable but I guess you'd have to remove the chrome (media blasting) before building up the paint.

At least that was what I was planning to do with mine if I go that route.

I don't know exactly what they did at Ford Australia, but the XB GT's had painted bumpers (unless ordered without them) as did the XC Cobra's and when the paint flaked off after many years of wear and tear, the bumpers would still be chrome underneath. Maybe look into how they did it.

I don't know exactly what they did at Ford Australia, but the XB GT's had painted bumpers (unless ordered without them) as did the XC Cobra's and when the paint flaked off after many years of wear and tear, the bumpers would still be chrome underneath. Maybe look into how they did it.
Jason that has always had me knacked. Shiny chrome underneath not scuffed or matt how the F@ck did they get it to stick for years same with some Monaro's

When I first purchased my Mach 1, the ram air system had a chrome air cleaner lid that was also the incorrect shape. After about a year or so, I purchased a repro Hi-Po air cleaner with a chrome lid as I could not find and OEM lid at a reasonable price or at all. I sanded the lid down pretty good to scuff the chrome, primed and painted a few applications of Ford blue engine block paint. It came out very well once dry. The color and texture was a perfect match to the rest of the air cleaner. That was 8 to 9 years ago. The paint has held up very well with no sign of peeling to this day.

Of course, the air cleaner lid is not on the nose of the car getting hit with sand, rocks, or other debris.

Back