Good clutch vs poor clutch choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastorpat

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible.
I am installing a 351 C with a t-5 transmission. Replacing 250 I-6. I am using a 28.5 0z 157 tooth flywheel. this forces me to the 10 inch clutch. I could buy another flywheel and go to the 10.5 clutch but let's pass on that idea right now. The 11 inch clutch is out unless I change the bellhousing.

So here is the question. What experiece do you owners have with 10 inch clutches? Do you have good experiences with McLoud? center force? ram? Sachs? M-Pact? exedy?

Bad experience reports are valuable.

Trying to stay in a budget.

Engine is slightly built. Flattop Pistons, mild cam, 2v heads, headers, dual plane intake with 600 cfm Holley. I have not even fired the motor yet.

GO!

My Zoom clutch arrived with a bad throw out bearing. It felt good one I got that resolved, but it left a bad taste having to pull the transmission because they couldn't get that part right.

It ultimately failed as a result of oil contamination

I used a Centerforce clutch-it was okay, but the transmission shop destroyed it when my transmission locked in 5th after a shift fork failure. I drove it in and asked them to pull the transmission, they decided they knew better and they tried to drive it-I do my own work now.

McLeod is now in my car and is by far the nicest unit I've handled. I'm running a high dollar version, but would start there.

YMMV

Really leaning to the McLeod. Just wondering if it's worth the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With that that mild of a build, you don't need a big dollar clutch. If you were willing to swap to the 11" setup, a standard stock clutch would be fine. Due to budget, my first 351C 4V engine used a NAPA 11" reman clutch and it lasted through five years of abuse.

That said, a friend had a 10" Centerforce behind a 351w and it held up just fine for over ten years.

I've had a low end $120 Zoom clutch in my Mach 1 for 15 years and it was fine. I went with their next one up for a bit more performance potential for my new build hoping for similar longevity.

If you cant fit an 11" clutch in your bellhousing then I'd look for a 10.5" unit from a fox body mustang application. They are plentiful and therefore cheap. You might even find a good used one on Craigslist.

10" clutches are more expensive for some reason likely from them being less popular.

mcleod 1850 lb 3 finger pressure plate if you never dump the clutch or speed shift . . centerforce street disc.

2000 lb if you dump it at less than 2000 rpm . . centerforce street disc or dual friction disc.

2250 if you beat it . . this is beginning to be a little stiff and can be tiring in stop and go traffic . . use a dual friction mcleod or centerforce disc if you beat it.

centerforce street disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the McCloud 10.5 inch clutch with the long pressure plate. Will give updates when I get it on the road. I need to have the driveshaft cut down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's on the road. Clutch working great but less than 100 miles on it.
What disc did you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '68 coupe, I have a 393w making just shy of 500hp. With my TKO-500 I am using a fidanza flywheel and a dual Kevlar clutch from Modern Driveline. Now it's not cheap but it works great. Very smooth, easy pedal and no chatter at all.. I drive my car every day..

Back