MY CAMARO ALMOST READY FOR PAINT --PICS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
I just spent the last 2 days with my helper Joey getting my 71 camaro lined up & everything fitted to MY SPECS..The shop owner had called Monday for my final inspection before paint..It didn't cut the mustard..So Joey & I went down & gave the crew a bit of an eye opener..We have about 3 hours more work tomorrow then they can take it from there..After today, the shop owner came over & was impressed as all hell..He told me he would have to charge a customer about a $1000.00 for the work Joey & I did. & frankly he said, most people aren't willing to pay that kind of money to line up & gap a car this well. So I guess that's the reason you see a lot of cars with nice paint and not so nice panel lines & gaps

100_2275.JPG100_2277.JPG100_2278.JPG100_2279.JPG100_2281.JPG100_2282.JPG100_2285.JPG100_2284.JPG

Nice, cant wait for the final product!!

Nice! I passes up a 71 camaro once because I didn't have anywhere to store it! It even had a custom built 350 that was well worth the asking price of $600! (The car itself was rough...real rough!)

Hey Scott, Awesome looking Camaro! It's all about the gap brother! In cars and women. Anyhow, that's another topic. My Dad had a '73 split bumper and got it for the cost of a battery. Brought it home and my ego got the best of me. I didn't want it cause it wasn't a Ford. Well, till today, I still beat myself up over it cause I got rid of it for a ukulele that I still don't know how to play. Been looking for one, but they cost so damn much now. Keep up the great work!

Hey Scott, Awesome looking Camaro! It's all about the gap brother! In cars and women. Anyhow, that's another topic. My Dad had a '73 split bumper and got it for the cost of a battery. Brought it home and my ego got the best of me. I didn't want it cause it wasn't a Ford. Well, till today, I still beat myself up over it cause I got rid of it for a ukulele that I still don't know how to play. Been looking for one, but they cost so damn much now. Keep up the great work!
Thanks DJ !! I see you & I think a like "All about the gap" :whistling:I couldn't agree more !! I'm so anxious to get this Car from the shop already ! I've got all the new parts here ready to go Joey & I are going to do the final assembly & interior..The underside was all done before I brought it in (pro touring f body susp system) http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/ Just need some corbeau racing seats http://www.corbeau.com/corbeau/race_seats/(can't decide which I want going to wait till the car is here) & I'm good to go Maybe if all goes well I will have one muscle together for the summer

Man Scott.....I've always liked the early 70's Camaro's and T/A's....but even in primer that car looks straighter than when they came from the factory!
Thanks Ken..It's Pretty rare SS/RS & I think you right It's pretty darn straight !

LOOKING GOOD SCOTT..... BUT I HAVE TO ASK, WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE AND TALENT AND YOU RECENTLY SAID YOUR EXPERTISE WAS PAINT, WHY DO YOU SEND THESE CARS OUT FOR FINAL BODY WORK AND PAINT? IS IT ZONING OR SOMETHING?
The Camaro was sent out because 1-I'm involved in doing the mustang 2--The shop owner owes me $$$ which he couldn't write a check for, so in exchange for the $$$ he's working off his debt 3- I only have a 1 car shop which is solely dedicated to the mustang..4--I also own a separate business which is my livelyhood which requires my full attention during the work week..besides that I'm in the process of a 3 year plan to move out west.. so many projects & only so much time ! there's no way i could devote 40 hours a week to building my toy's..But you can bet your bottom dollar The mustang is all me & all the body work..finish work & paint will be done by me..(funny you mention zoning..I did have zoning up to the garage as of the neighbors complained I was "operating a body shop business"..Thankfully because of the excellent video documentation all I had to do was show the inspector my site which clearly shows MY CAR only in the garage since june of last year took less than 24 hours to declare it a non issue & tell the neighbors I was allowed to work on my own car in a private garage)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'D SAY THATS 4 PRETTY DARN GOOD REASONS, ESPACECIALLY 2&4 I'M LUCKY I LIVE OUTSIDE OF TOWN THE CLOSEST HOUSE IS PROBABLY 80 YARDS AWAY, AND I HAVE 20 ACRES SO I HAVE AMPLE BREATHING ROOM. MY NIEGHBORS ARE ALL COOL ALSO AND I HAVE WORKED ON MOST OF THERE STUFF OVER THE YEARS TOO. THE WORK THING IS ALWAYS A BIGGY. AFTER MY DIVORCE 11 YRS AGO, I CLOSED THE BUIS AND WENT TO WORK FOR A COMMERCIAL EXCAVATING COMPANY. WITH DRIVE TIME I NORMALLY PUT IN 55 TO 60 HRS WHICH DOESNT LEAVE MUCH PLAYTIME. EXCEPT IN WINTER WHEN WE CANT WORK. THINKING ABOUT NOT GOING BACK THIS YEAR, MIGHT JUST RETIRE EARLY AND STAY HOME AND WORK IN THE SHOP. GETTING ENOUGH INTEREST FROM PEOPLE WANTING WORK I THINK I CAN EASILY SUPPLEMENT MY INCOME AND LIVE COMFORTABLY. HAVENT BEEN ADVERTISING OR ANYTHING AND CURRENTLY HAVE 7 JOBS ON THE SCHEDULE. JUST CUT A DEAL WITH A DEALER THAT LOOKS PROMISING ALSO. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT COMING.

I'D SAY THATS 4 PRETTY DARN GOOD REASONS, ESPACECIALLY 2&4 I'M LUCKY I LIVE OUTSIDE OF TOWN THE CLOSEST HOUSE IS PROBABLY 80 YARDS AWAY, AND I HAVE 20 ACRES SO I HAVE AMPLE BREATHING ROOM. MY NIEGHBORS ARE ALL COOL ALSO AND I HAVE WORKED ON MOST OF THERE STUFF OVER THE YEARS TOO. THE WORK THING IS ALWAYS A BIGGY. AFTER MY DIVORCE 11 YRS AGO, I CLOSED THE BUIS AND WENT TO WORK FOR A COMMERCIAL EXCAVATING COMPANY. WITH DRIVE TIME I NORMALLY PUT IN 55 TO 60 HRS WHICH DOESNT LEAVE MUCH PLAYTIME. EXCEPT IN WINTER WHEN WE CANT WORK. THINKING ABOUT NOT GOING BACK THIS YEAR, MIGHT JUST RETIRE EARLY AND STAY HOME AND WORK IN THE SHOP. GETTING ENOUGH INTEREST FROM PEOPLE WANTING WORK I THINK I CAN EASILY SUPPLEMENT MY INCOME AND LIVE COMFORTABLY. HAVENT BEEN ADVERTISING OR ANYTHING AND CURRENTLY HAVE 7 JOBS ON THE SCHEDULE. JUST CUT A DEAL WITH A DEALER THAT LOOKS PROMISING ALSO. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT COMING.
Thanks Pap ! Your Plan is kinda like My plan...Looking at property's on 20 to 40 acres..I've had my fill of the Northeast...Found a really nice place on 40 acres seperate 2500 sq ft garage..Gonna take 1 restoration a year..Do my little online parts business... rent out my property here & Call it a day !

Back