removing old polishing compound

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello folks, my car has places where I didn't get all of the compound off of the body when I polished it a few months ago. This stuff is stuck on there good and looks like crap. Any thoughts on what to do here?

Thanks in advance.

rubbing alcohol cut in 1/2 with water works reasonably well. You might need a soft bristle brush followed by a microfiber towel. Be patient, it has baked on for months, it is going to take some time to remove it.

Olive oil also works with some residues.

If what is suggested doesn't get you results try using Prep Solvent like you use to remove wax, silicone and such before you paint. It will take the wax off but usually gets the white lines off the rubber and trim. It will also take any road tar off. Like suggested a tooth brush will speed up the process. When applying wax keep back from the trim and rubber a little and when you wipe it there will be wax moved to the area not covered. The best wax I have ever found was developed for Marine use is Collonite. It is pure carnauba wax and soap and water will not wash it off and goes on easy and last forever, no chemicals just wax. One can lasted me for years and years. Don't have a can handy to get the number. There are several but one works much better than the others. Can send you the number if you PM me tomorrow.

David

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, I will follow up soon. Right now I am in the middle of installing my new traction lok and motive 3.50's so maybe next week I will try things out.

Back