fuel pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
have a question for all you 71,73 gurus, have a fresh 351 Q code just rebuilt. put in a carter m6882 fuel pump from CJ's pony parts. running original 4300 carb. when car was started and running at 1600 rpm to break in gas was flowing out of the carb. the guy who rebuilt the carb said the 4300 should only run on 3 to 4 psi ford says 5psi, the pump says 5.5 to 6.5 . is it the carb or the fuel pump? thanks guys

Of course, this is just a guess, but.....I would be thinking more along the lines of a hung float in your carb. The float level should have been set at the time of re-building ( you just had the carb done, right? ). I'd take the carb's top off and check the "float level", and "float drop", and verify that the float isn't "waterlogged" before I'd accuse the fuel pump of being wrong.

adding a fuel pressure regulator is neither difficult nor expensive, but I agree with Spike in that checking the floats is the first place to look.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge or can you borrow one? A cheap one is under 20 bucks. Good to know what you are dealing with.

Back