2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang first drive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
It is all great but wish they would price the cars so all can afford them. I worked in the automotive world the last 25 years as a stamping engineer and know what the costs are to produce a car. I am sure Ford is ahead of most in their manufacturing methods and know personally how they hammer their suppliers on price and demand a give back each year of up to 5% or you don't get to quote. My son works for the local BMW plant and they have cars that go close to the 90,000 dollar mark. When a BMW X-6 is finished ready for delivery it costs BMW around $15,000, yes fifteen thousand and they go for 59,600 to 72,900 for the X-6 and they of course have higher priced models. Fords costs are lower than BMW who has to fly the engines and drive trains in from Germany. BMW has paid all the salaries and costs in the plant by April and the remainder of the year is pure 100% profit. A body going to paint is around $800.00 that is welded together and sealed. Fords costs are less they use more automation than BMW. The actual cost of the Shelby is probably in the $12,000 range at most. Hell a bag boy could afford to buy a Shelby or mustang in 1965, not now with the greed kicked in. If everyone would stand their ground and make them drop the prices we could have them for half price and they would still make over 100% profit.

I cannot force myself to buy any new car knowing how much I am getting literally screwed by the manufacturer. Take the back seat and cut down on the upholstery and jack the price up makes since to me, NOT. Pretty much everything is done by CNC or robot and it does not know if it is a Toyota or Shelby GT-350 so the time costs the same to manufacturer. The assembly time has dropped over the years as sub assemblies come in from suppliers and drop in instead of having long lines and multiple lines like in the 60's.

It just makes my blood pressure rise to see the prices when I know what it costs.

Sorry for venting but this is a good place for it you get blocked on the net they won't post your vents that are real and informative.

David

Looks awesome!!

vtvl2768.jpg

It is all great but wish they would price the cars so all can afford them. I worked in the automotive world the last 25 years as a stamping engineer and know what the costs are to produce a car. I am sure Ford is ahead of most in their manufacturing methods and know personally how they hammer their suppliers on price and demand a give back each year of up to 5% or you don't get to quote. My son works for the local BMW plant and they have cars that go close to the 90,000 dollar mark. When a BMW X-6 is finished ready for delivery it costs BMW around $15,000, yes fifteen thousand and they go for 59,600 to 72,900 for the X-6 and they of course have higher priced models. Fords costs are lower than BMW who has to fly the engines and drive trains in from Germany. BMW has paid all the salaries and costs in the plant by April and the remainder of the year is pure 100% profit. A body going to paint is around $800.00 that is welded together and sealed. Fords costs are less they use more automation than BMW. The actual cost of the Shelby is probably in the $12,000 range at most. Hell a bag boy could afford to buy a Shelby or mustang in 1965, not now with the greed kicked in. If everyone would stand their ground and make them drop the prices we could have them for half price and they would still make over 100% profit.

I cannot force myself to buy any new car knowing how much I am getting literally screwed by the manufacturer. Take the back seat and cut down on the upholstery and jack the price up makes since to me, NOT. Pretty much everything is done by CNC or robot and it does not know if it is a Toyota or Shelby GT-350 so the time costs the same to manufacturer. The assembly time has dropped over the years as sub assemblies come in from suppliers and drop in instead of having long lines and multiple lines like in the 60's.

It just makes my blood pressure rise to see the prices when I know what it costs.

Sorry for venting but this is a good place for it you get blocked on the net they won't post your vents that are real and informative.

David
I am learning a lot from you David, I have no doubt that you are speaking the truth. I also have a hard time buying a new car but when I do it won't be at above list price or list price!

David
I am learning a lot from you David, I have no doubt that you are speaking the truth. I also have a hard time buying a new car but when I do it won't be at above list price or list price!
We get the short end on about everything. I worked in China for a total of 16 months. Things like clothes here have at least a 600% mark up so a sale is not even a deal. It will never change as long as people buy if they stop the price would come down. Supply and demand it works for the producer and not the consumer.

David

All,

David, I totally agree with you. You can go to YouTube and watch Ford build the 1994 Mustang and see how much automation is in the process. It is amazing of what the MSRP cost today. My next F 150 will be a certified used one approx 1 years old due the depreciation right off the bat,.

Mustang7173

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The development costs and tooling costs are amortized into the price. If models were not changed every year and totallly retooled every 5 years, costs could come way down. It's still a lot of profit which makes me wonder how the car manufacturers are all going broke!

Nice looking car. The factories just keep offering up better and better performance cars.

As an aside I found it interesting how the first photo is of the wheels which are made here in Australia. I believe these same brand of wheel are on the GT40 too.

Back