Home Aluminum Anodizing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. Lots of opportunities there to damage body parts (and I don't mean car body). I looked at some of the other stuff that he does, like homemade rocket engines, even more opportunities...

Where I worked Spartanburg Steel Products, Inc. We made most of the Aluminum grills for Ford, Chevy, Chrysler and others. We also make the 1963 Ford tail light bezels out of aluminum and the Econoline aluminum and steel grills and lots of aluminum trim.

On the chemicals. They shut the anodizing process down but have kept the chemical pond up and running due to the fact if you ever shut it down you have to clean it up and that would cost millions. The roof of the plant had to be replaced two or three times the vapors ate the steel up. When women would be walking into work with nylon hose on and the wind blew the exhaust down it would melt the hose on their legs. A leak in a tank ate the ground up under the floor and truck loads of concrete was poured into the void to fill it. The company had to repaint the local radio towers twice because the exhaust rusted them. They had to paint a water tower also. There are test wells all around the plant property that the EPA checks on a regular basis. The chemicals and waste are not to be fooled around with. I do all my own stuff but stop there. Phosphate yes but not anodizing. I will strip the old anodizing and polish but not going to ever do the anodizing. The racks that went through the tanks were made from titanium only thing that would hold up. That is the biggest reason aluminum grills and trim went away EPA was shutting everyone down and it is very expensive to get it done for restoration.

Be careful if you do lungs do not come cheap along with eyes and skin.

David

Ray,

Thanks for the info. As Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs states, this is some nasty stuff to deal with. So, what are the alternatives to having the bright work on our 71-73 mustangs? One solution that I went with was the Satin Ceramic coated on the trim. So far, it does not look bad.

mustang7173

I am going to try to just take the anodize off and buff and keep wax on it. I never wash a car with hose after it is restored. Just wipe it off unless it gets caught in a storm on a muddy road, NOT. Hosing down a car makes the owner feel good but gets water in all the cracks that keeps our number one enemy happy, RUST. Why force feed water everywhere when all you need is a damp micro fiber towel to take the dust off?

We only polish the aluminum wheels without anodize why not the trim?

I have never been one to follow the herd. Always looking for a better way. Even the car I just bought that had been in garage 13 years. Just a bucket of water and micro fiber towel and never a hose to wash. Change the water as needed. How many of you get your car dirty enough to use soap? Not many. A good Carnauba paste wax lasts for a year with just towel washes easy.

The crazy guy has an opinion again. Oh I bought another 72 vert, lol I am crazy I have 5.

David

Back