Just Sayin' Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hello to the group.

Here's my story.

I was a teenager when I bought my 72 Mach 1 for $900 in 1985 and I've managed to hold on to it all these years. I promptly built a souped up 351 Boss clone engine for it and swapped the FMX for a C6. The engine subsequently dropped a valve before it was even broke in...turned out the cheap PAW brand intake valve was very substandard....my dad had it tested for me....anyway, that ended up cracking a 4v head up into the intake port and the clone Boss was no more. It really ran good and, to this day, I'm still interested in repeating all but the dropped valve to see what kind of 1/4 mile ET's it would turn. I've never been able to find anyone willing to try welding the head...and for good reason I suppose.

(I still need a replacement 4v quench head if you know where I can get one) ::thumb::

I ended up trading a 3310 holley for a 74 cougar that someone had swapped in a 69 429 with DOVE heads....so I built that engine and tranny and dropped it into the mustang....4.33 posi, 4300 stall converter, biggest crower hydraulic cam they had back then (or maybe one notch down), hooker super comp headers, ported the heads (mostly port match & knocking down the exhaust bump) lower ratio planetary in the C-6, 780 holley, offenhauser port-o-sonic intake, 9 qt pan, etc....was a fun car...next came a 460....turns out both engines turned about the same ET...the 460 pulled harder off the line and the 429 pulled a few hundred RPMS longer....time to go to college so I put the original 2v cleveland back in it with all the original equipment (power steering and AC hardware). I also had it painted along the way...originally metallic pewter with green interior...yuck....the silver was fine, but that green....they loved their green back in the 70's.....it became grabber blue, black hood & stripes, with black interior...and that's how it sits today. I moved from my home town then put the car into indoor storage for many years and then it sat outside for probably 8 or more years....sadly, the Phoenix weather took its toll...was pretty when I moved it and now it's in need of a lot of TLC and $$.

Soooo... that's where I am now...finally got an indoor place to store it along with some motivation and it's time to get it looking pretty again....I've been reading the forum and will likely have lots of questions for you all. I'll be restoring almost the entire interior, possibly a tail light panel, and maybe even the trunk floor....oh and a few other odds and ends.

I'll thank you all in advance for the info I'm sure I'll glean from this community. I'll be happy to participate and share anything I know, as well.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, if I lost you at hello, well, no worries there either...I can't say I blame you.

Cheers, ::beer::

BT

Howdy from Mesa! Are you still in the Arizona area?

When my first Mach 1 was taken out by a drunk driver I searched for a replacement. One option was a Green Mach 1 with the Green interior. I also couldn't live with the color (no offense to the guys that have the green interior). ;)

Hello from Mississippi. Sounds like you've had a lot of fun with your Mach 1. Yep, seems like the Big 3 had a thing with green interiors in the 70's. Never seen the Pewter/ green interior combo. I had problems dealing with the Vermillian red interior myself. Welcome to your new Mustang home!

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Post some pics if you can.

Good story btw. So you and the 123 Mustangs go back a long way.

Howdy from Mesa! Are you still in the Arizona area?

When my first Mach 1 was taken out by a drunk driver I searched for a replacement. One option was a Green Mach 1 with the Green interior. I also couldn't live with the color (no offense to the guys that have the green interior). ;)
Yes, still in the valley of the sun. Do you ever go to the Pavillions on Saturday night?

No offense to the guys with green interiors either...it just didn't seem to match the silver exterior. It's sad when a mustang is taken out and especially by a drunk driver. Hope nobody was hurt.

Hello from Mississippi. Sounds like you've had a lot of fun with your Mach 1. Yep, seems like the Big 3 had a thing with green interiors in the 70's. Never seen the Pewter/ green interior combo. I had problems dealing with the Vermillian red interior myself. Welcome to your new Mustang home!
Yeah, I always thought it was a strange combo. It had a data plate before the paint job but I never took down the info....ordered a Marti report so I'll know for sure if it actually came with that combo but everything about the car indicates that to be the case (I've removed just about every part on it at one time or another). Yeah that vermilion really stands out! Personally, I really like the "grabber" colors on the exterior but prefer toned down colors on the inside.

As for the green thing in the 70's....I just picked up a 71 ranchero to turn into a hotrod.....light metallic green with light green interior :) I'm thinking this one might become grabber metallic green.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! You folks have some really sweet rides! I hope to get mine looking as good someday soon.

I'll snap some pictures of it in current (sad) form. I have very few pictures of when it was cherried out but I'll try to locate them. I've moved 7 times since they were taken so this should be about like hunting for Q code engine parts! How did we survive without cellphone cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back