What should I paint my rear end with

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
1973 Grande
My cars rear end that is. I've got the rear end torn apart and cleaned up and ready for paint but looking for suggestions on type of primer and type of paint. I've heard of people painting the bottom of the car with bed liner but didn't know if that worked for the rear end too. What have you used?

I painted the rear axle housing on our car with krylon fusion satin black and the carrier with krylon red pepper red with a couple coats of duplicolor clear to finish it off. It may not be factory correct but it looks great to me. I will try to get some pics up soon.

i used SEM primer and black trim satin paint.

the pumpkin was a orange krylon paint that looked close to original

and i used factory grey for the bare metal parts.

9 in axle painted 2.JPG9 in cent painted.JPGI also painted mine krylon satin black and painted the center section dupli color red oxide primer.

Hi there,

You have a wide variety of paints on the market you could use, but the basic question to ask is how durable and hard wearing you want the paint finish to be.

High solids acrylic 2 Pack Urethanes and 2 Pack Polyurethane paints have the best and most hard wearing and durable qualities to them. (Check availability for satin finishes) Next comes 2Pack auto enamels in the durability stakes. (Satin finishes are available) Then comes the weakest coatiings such as single pack enamels, ducos, and acrylic lacquers. (Satin finishes are available also) Two pack polys and urethanes offer the best chip, marr and chemical/oil resistance you can get.

All these paints will deliver a result as such, and look and wear quite well in their own right, but how tough and durable you want to dial in is up to you as i have stated above. Each paint category above, has it's own primers to go with them as well. Also, check your local US markets for the best brands. Don't forget - for best results, shoot your paint through a spray gun, not a rattle can.

Greg.:)

Back