Big block reliability (vs small block).

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I was watching one of those reality car building shows. Possibly Overhaulin'. Anyway, the builder asked if they wanted radical or more "tame" and more "maintenance free". When the owner asked for more maintenance free, the builder recommended a small block.

The way I see it, a 500hp 460 BB would be way more easy and user friendly than a Wimdsor or Cleveland (even as a stroker). Is the 460 not as reliable of a motor? Or was that just bad info from the show? Thanks..

Mike

engine size has nothing to do with maintenance.

if you want a big block, i would build a big block.

with hydraulic lifters and no ignition points, the only thing to maintain are the spark plugs, oil and air filter.

i guess the big block would use more air so the air filter might get dirty a little faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, There is a good reason all of those "car shows" use engines built by someone else. They know more about stripes than engines. Chuck

i guess the big block would use more air so the air filter might get dirty a little faster.

That's funny. lollerz

Perhaps a small block is easier to maintain (spark plugs can be a little easier to get to for example).

Otherwise I don't see the difference. To me it would make more sense to recommend a big block. With the added size you can built it a little more mild and still get the same HP numbers without having to turn the RPM's too high compared to a small block. (This is a general rule and not applicable in all cases)

If you are going to autocross go small block if straight line that can be debated. They get some big HP from a SB and the parts are cheaper. Yes you can get a 460 for scrap price at crusher but I guess it is up to the owner.

If you have someone that crushes cars in your area you might be surprised what shows up. A Pontiac lover I know picked up one of the light weight factory race Pontiacs just before it went to the crusher. Had all the holes in the frame to lighten it from the factory.

Go to the crusher owner and offer a decent price for anything you are looking for and have them call if it comes in. 9" N case rears go to crusher everyday. I found one in a 69 econoline van same center as 71 - 73 and more I am sure.

David

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I thought. Thank you..

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I thought. Thank you..
but wait...we're not done having fun yet.

if you want a great all around engine and lots of power that you can still reach the spark plugs on, get any 351 windsor block and buy a 408 or 418 stroker kit for only $1500.00 . . afr 195 heads . . eddy air gap intake and a cam with around .600 lift, and it will roast the tires till the cows come home.

Thanks.. I actually have a 393w in my '68 coupe. I love it. I'm actually building a 415w with AFR-205's I'm planning to supercharge with a Paxton Novi. I was curious about the 460 in my '73 because a 460 based motor with EFI and a Paxton would certainly put a smile on my face.. I was just concerned about the reliability of a 460 vs a 351 w/c.

Thanks.. I actually have a 393w in my '68 coupe. I love it. I'm actually building a 415w with AFR-205's I'm planning to supercharge with a Paxton Novi. I was curious about the 460 in my '73 because a 460 based motor with EFI and a Paxton would certainly put a smile on my face.. I was just concerned about the reliability of a 460 vs a 351 w/c.
ok, now you tell us what you really want to know.

the reliability comes from doing a quality build with quality parts there is no magic to it.

use rocker arms that have the extra support on the end of the shaft .

if you will use more than around 6 lbs of boost, i would use real pistons like JE . . the probes seem to survive a lot of abuse also but im just not a huge fan of them . . i like 4032 aluminum over 2618 but the most important thing imo, is to buy pistons designed to handle a supercharger and JE makes those.

buy chinese forged crank and rods.

i would use an ATI crank damper . . it has 2 inertia rings and will absorb more harmonics and reduce crank twist more than a single ring type.

i would do all the most common oiling system mods including using a 6 quart cobra jet pan if yours is only 5.

get some nice, expensive jon kaase heads if your efi will fit them.

you could also stroke it for around the same cost as the stock stroke crank.

put dowels on the main caps to eliminate main cap movement.

use morel lifters . . the limited travel ones might be good for any supercharger app.

run the next size smaller pulley so your boost comes in early and regulate the total boost with an adjustable waste gate.

the novis are really quiet.

ok, now you tell us what you really want to know.

the reliability comes from doing a quality build with quality parts there is no magic to it.

use rocker arms that have the extra support on the end of the shaft .

if you will use more than around 6 lbs of boost, i would use real pistons like JE . . the probes seem to survive a lot of abuse also but im just not a huge fan of them . . i like 4032 aluminum over 2618 but the most important thing imo, is to buy pistons designed to handle a supercharger and JE makes those.

buy chinese forged crank and rods.

i would use an ATI crank damper . . it has 2 inertia rings and will absorb more harmonics and reduce crank twist more than a single ring type.

i would do all the most common oiling system mods including using a 6 quart cobra jet pan if yours is only 5.

get some nice, expensive jon kaase heads if your efi will fit them.

you could also stroke it for around the same cost as the stock stroke crank.

put dowels on the main caps to eliminate main cap movement.

use morel lifters . . the limited travel ones might be good for any supercharger app.

run the next size smaller pulley so your boost comes in early and regulate the total boost with an adjustable waste gate.

the novis are really quiet.

Thank you.. I was really just curious about the comment 'if you want maintenance free and reliable' (paraphrasing), then go with a big block. Of course they didn't go into specifics, but it sounded like they meant more than "being able to track spark plugs".

Thank you.. I was really just curious about the comment 'if you want maintenance free and reliable' (paraphrasing), then go with a big block. Of course they didn't go into specifics, but it sounded like they meant more than "being able to track spark plugs".

yeah, my guess is that it was just scripted to make the show more interesting.

I think what they mean is you don't have to spin a big block as high to make power.As far as maintenance the spark plugs are a bears ass the get out of my 72 with a 385 series.460 is a very tough reliable engine.

I assume that means "It's tough to get them out". The only problem that I have, is the fact that I hear conflicting stories about the ease of spark plug removal Does it depend on the heads, or is it tight regardlessm?

Interesting.. If I went the 460 route, I would consider p-51's or SCJ's.

Back