Car Shows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peche 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande, 351 Cleveland, restoration project
1973 Convertible, 302, slight restoration
A sad day yesterday, as I went to the Car Show at my town's Labor Day festivities. There was a great turnout of cars, over 60, which has been the most in years, and the turnout keeps getting better every year.

But...

The oldest Mustang I saw was a 1979! How can there not be something pre 1974?

There is not a lack of great Mustangs nearby either. There's a 73 not 20 minutes away, and at least one other from our gang within an hour.

The solution?

I know...get my car done and enter it next year! But as well all know, money will determine if that happens; paint jobs ain't cheap.

I find the increasing lack of respect for vehicles keeps me from showing my cars. Last May someone received a phone call while walking through a show. He started to use the roof of my wife's car as his desk so he could make some notes.

part of it is on sept 13 is the large regional Ford cruise and show at lucas ford

cache_943295517.jpg

all the ford guys are sitting out the local cruises waiting on the big end of summer show.

the other side of it is Shows suck. you sit around baking in a parking lot watching your car to make sure stuff doesn't get stolen or scratched.

i can tell you horror stories that happened, at the oyster bay cruise night, bellmore train station, bald hill car night.

I've had stuff stolen, i've seen people get stuff stolen, i've seen fights break out, etc.. and for what you pay 5-25$ to go to some of these shows, then you either sit in front of your car for 2-4 hours or when you try and get some food everything is packed and there is a 90 minute wait.

for me it came to a head about 5-7 years ago. i used to go to the oyster bay cruise night, gabby's was always packed beyond belief, i pull in give my money and the guy is like its packed there is no parking left just drive around and if you find something pay me. so i drove around 2 times and then it occurred to me, what the hell was i doing?

I'm driving a car to park it and show it off for what reason? just drive it. thus instead of car shows i would drive out to eastern long island get some ice cream and come home a couple of hours later, having driven and enjoyed my car. done, never went to another cruise night afterwards.

the worst was the glen cove cruise night that turned into a disaster for the fire dept and the town. there was an actual riot one night in downtown and they banned the entire cruise night after that.

the story goes, the cruise night was not doing well and had been going for 3 years. the fire dept was getting desperate and downtown all the food places and stores were closing down from lack of business. it was run by the fire dept and the old time cruisers club. so they asked Martino Auto Concepts for help in trying to get more people to come. Martino Auto put out an SOS on facebook and myspace advertising it. the idea was Martino Auto had some high end clients, ferraris and bugattis etc and once a year they ran a street auto fair that closed downtown glen cove. well instead all the gangs showed up, and teenagers came along with a ton of booze and drugs in the cars.

the event was designed to be for old timers and older couples. so began a night of graffiti arson, broken windows, stolen property a stabbing and an attempted shooting.

every patrol car in glen cove showed up to arrest and disperse the crowd after that the entire event was scrubbed from memory and they will never allow it again.

That's a sin!

72HCode, good to hear from a FLID (Freakin' Long Island Dude), as I'm originally from Hauppauge. My area fortunately isn't anything like you describe. Yes, it's hot, but the cars on grass, albeit no shade, and people are respectful. Long Island is like another country sometimes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in WNY there is a healthy schedule of cruise nights and shows running from mid-May thru early September. Typically on any given weeknight, you can find 5 - 6 good sized cruises occurring on a weekly basis. There are several monthly only cruises which can (weather permitting) find 800+ cars. Weekend car shows....some are large (300+), some are smaller (+/- 60 - 100) may see 4-5 each Sat/Sun each month. For the most part, folks are pretty well behaved at cruises and shows. At events where trouble occurs, word gets out fast and most folks avoid the event.

Biggest issues are younger couples with strollers and/or dogs on long metal leashes and of course bicycle riders of all ages who weave precariously around and between the cars. Some of us have no problems asking (initially) in a mild manner that they take care not to get too close to the vehicles on display at the risk of some kind of damage. As many of us in the hobby have experienced, for the most part, most of the people take heed and are respectful.

It's a shame Peche71 doesn't see many 64 1/4 - 73 Stangs at the weekend shows, but here in WNY they are quite common. Could be a regional thing. On the other hand, I often participate in a local weekly cruise event comprised entirely of mustangs. The informal group meets up at a starting point (everyone notified at the start of each week via email) and cruises to various organized cruise locations each week from June - Sept. Anywhere from 8 to 25 cars can show up and participate. Usually I am the only one driving a 1st generation mustang (either my 73 or 69 vert). The other Stangs in the caravan are typically mid - 90's thru brand new. Which is fine with me, I understand not everyone wants to deal with vintage cars and the (sometimes) ongoing maintenance. The whole point of it is that the group is enthusiastic about all things Mustangs and there are some great memories from participating over the years.

My understanding is there are other regions in the county where the vintage car culture thing is a big deal, but more often than not, it's a hit and miss thing. I guess that's also part of the hobby.

on long island, 71-72 mustangs are rare, 73s you see from time to time.

i know of about 10 cars on the island that are running. currently most are 73s i know of 2 71s and mine is the only 72 that i know of.

there are 2 guys from NJ that always come to long island shows. both are 73 verts one is grabber blue and the other is gold.

I'm sure there are more but you never see them. up the block from me a neighbor has a 71 sportroof in white he drives it from time to time but it mostly sits under the car cover. so in my immediate area there are 2 of our year cars.

however in comparision there are like 50 Yenko clones, and i can't tell you how many 1967 and 1968 and 1969 camaros.

oh and real buick grand nationals(GNX) they made 547 of them there are over 50 in my neighborhood not kidding.

A sad day yesterday, as I went to the Car Show at my town's Labor Day festivities. There was a great turnout of cars, over 60, which has been the most in years, and the turnout keeps getting better every year.

But...

The oldest Mustang I saw was a 1979! How can there not be something pre 1974?

There is not a lack of great Mustangs nearby either. There's a 73 not 20 minutes away, and at least one other from our gang within an hour.

The solution?

I know...get my car done and enter it next year! But as well all know, money will determine if that happens; paint jobs ain't cheap.
Had a 300+ turn out in an 8,000 population town of Latrobe, PA last Sunday that had so many 'judged at 10s across the boards' our 71-3 category, suffered. Mine, the convertible at this stock muscle car class, did not have a prayer to compete.

Back