My poor Mach...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOWnSTEADY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach One
2000 Chevrolet Impala
1987 Mazda RX7 (Turbo SBF swapped)
1987 Toyota 4Runner (7MGTE swapped)

few other projects...
I got my '73 Mach One (one of my "dream cars" since I was about 10) over a year ago now and haven't really even touched it. i stripped the interior, yanked the engine/trans and started the body work all within the first month or two of getting it. Since then, it has sat. :(

I have a PILE of new parts for it too!! all new interior, nicely built 460/C6, 8.8" disc/posi rearend, floors and trunk floor (just some small pin holes really but, might as well get it out of the way) front spoiler, rear spoiler and a bunch of other misc. parts.

Anywho, i feel bad, looking for someone to tell me it is OK :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is OK...I'm in the same boat! Restoring a 72 Coupe, got tons of new parts, crate motor...but little time to work on it! I'm hoping the warmer weather will help with motivation!

Some restorations can take years! Don't sweat it! Just keep plugging away at it!

It happens.....what you're going to find reading this forum is ...you'll get itching to get the car ready, especially when you see some of fantastic cars on here...I've been waiting to get back at mine and we finally might have some decent weather to start again.

nothing to feel bad about. i think we all jump into a new project with guns blazing and the burn ourselves out. happens all the time. i try to pace myself and have fun. the mustang is for enjoyment. my garage isnt that overhauling show where cars are fixed up in a few days!!!

its now 6 years of mustang ownership for me, man time flys.

it was not an easy road just to get to the point i'm at now.

When i got the car and realized how much work it needed i jumped in feet first and gutted it.

it took 1 year to get most of the interior parts together and rebuilt. In that same year i managed to get the electrical working, and do some minor floor pan repair. It felt like i made no progress, and felt like i was going backwards, finally i collected enough parts to put everything back together. I even did some paint work and major bolt on body panel replacement

This got my car on the road, or so i thought.

Once back on the road it became apparent the car needed a lot more work, it was one major problem after another.

during restoration of the brake system i discovered serious structural issues with the front end, and ended up Gutting the car for the second time.

This time i went further, the engine and trans and 3rd member was removed and sent out for rebuild.

the chassis was sent upstate for repairs, and for 6 months the only part of the car i had ownership of was a C6 transmission and a ford 9" 3rd member.

another 2 months went by before the car showed up again. it was now almost 4 years of owning my ford and i had driving it maybe 1000 miles, and spend oodles of money on it, with no gains.

2008 was spent getting the car back together and discovering more problems, it turned into an engine bay and full mechanical restoration, i did not finish assembly until the snows came delaying me again until spring.

2009 was a mess of unreal problems, nothing working right and more broken parts. By this point i had replaced the entire car with new parts except for the body. Magically by the start of summer i was able to start driving it.

which lead to discovering more problems with it. the problems were minor in comparison to what i started with and i was able to actually take the car to some shows. being able to drive the car really for the first time showed more problems. it again felt like i was going backwards.

2010 was the year i finally tweaked the rebuilt engine into working correctly. that allowed more behind the wheel time and pointed to a major issue in the rear axle looming. i ended 2010 by making tons of minor changes and repairs and rebuilding my rear axle with all new parts.

2011 so far has been less eventful. i hope to enjoy the car as much as possible it will need to be torn down for the 3rd or 4th time and more metal work and body work done but i hope to hold off on that as long as possible and just drive it.

6 years and i was under it the last 3 days doing maintenance and fixing another one of my old mistakes trying to make it a better car.

A local mustang guru once said "its not the destination, its the trip to get there"

It takes time! Try to keep your interest up by tackling small areas and finish it up one area at a time. It will give you a feeling of accomplishment and go on to the next area. Even if you just work on it an hour at a time things will start coming together.

That's why I'm working on mine a little at a time. After the front of the car was heavily damaged I got P&^%$ed off and tore the car apart and it sat for 7 years. Now that it's back on the road it's too much fun driving it. Too many things to do all at once. The paint is presentable but needs to be redone. It needs interior work, engine work, transmission work and suspension work. I'm engaging it a little at a time. I have an AOD to rebuild and 2 torque converters. There is another block at the race shop awaiting attention. I need to replace both strut rod bushings and need 1/2" spacers for the front springs. It's all coming but it takes time.

I would encourage you to get the structural items repaired and fix any suspension and braking issue. Put that baby back together and drive it. Whether it's in primer or paint, complete or not. sort out the systems of the car and refine it before "finishing" the car. Driving keeps me interested in continuing.

IT'S NOT OKAY The Mustang must be helped.

But your okay. Take a breath, sort out your thoughts, prioritize your life with a Mustang and learn to tackle it anew. Realize that it may just take a few years longer than your first thought. Hey, look at how far you have come! All the new parts, all the preparation and now a newfound source of inspiration and help.

Yes, everything (including the Mustang) is going to be okay!

I got my '73 Mach One (one of my "dream cars" since I was about 10) over a year ago now and haven't really even touched it. i stripped the interior, yanked the engine/trans and started the body work all within the first month or two of getting it. Since then, it has sat. :(

I have a PILE of new parts for it too!! all new interior, nicely built 460/C6, 8.8" disc/posi rearend, floors and trunk floor (just some small pin holes really but, might as well get it out of the way) front spoiler, rear spoiler and a bunch of other misc. parts.

Anywho, i feel bad, looking for someone to tell me it is OK :blush:
Just prioritize yourself and realize that the 73 and all the money you've already invested in new parts is on top of that list and you'll be OK :) If not, then sorry to say but everything is not going to be ok. I've seen this scenerio many times before were projects get put on the back burner and just rott away, parts go missing, loose interest etc etc etc.... You get overwhelmed and don't know where to begin. Personally, I would start with the engine and tranny, electrical system, brakes, suspension and then body and interior. Like your name says...slow and steady. Key word is "steady" don't stop and just do little things here and there. Even if it's 1/2hr a day. Just do something and don't let it sit and get away from you. Look at others cars and use that as inspiration and motivation. Good luck bro!

Post some pictures of your car and others will be able to see where you stand and give you some good pointers as to where to start back into what needs to be done. With a little bit here and there you'll be back at it and into it before you know.

::welcome:: This forum has definitely renewed my interest, and introduced me to many new friends as well. To let you know you're not alone, I've had mine for 9 years, moved twice, bought many parts over the years, even a junk body that took a year and a half to cut up. I did drive it into it's resting place for now. I content myself that I'm learning to do what I need to by eventually rebuilding an old pickup I have.

Keep the faith.

I have been working on my '73 since '84! lol It seems to go in bunches. After the first time I rebuilt it, I drove it for 10 years, then it sat in the garage for another 10 years. I drove it last in 2004, I hope I can finish it and drive it again before 2014. Once you get started with it again, you will get motivated to finish.

I hear you brother! I was in the same boat just a couple of months ago and felt just like you. I was out of funds and had car peices covering the garage floor. Interior was stripped out, trunk lid leaning against the tool box, and was patching gaping holes in the trunk. Wifey was mad since she had to park out in the drive and give up her side of the garage all winter. No eating out with the other guys at lunch each day because I had spent all my lunch money on parts. At more than one point, everything I had "restored" was covered with dust (both dirt and sanding debris) and had to be cleaned and painted a second time. Every week I was more tired on Monday morning after working all weekend in an unheated garage... trust me I feel your pain.

I bought a car that "looked good" but needed LOTS of attention to little details, all costing money and effort to fix. Even as I type this, I can't drive it because I have carb issues and not enough engine experience (and money) to resolve.

THAT BEING SAID...

When I pushed the girl out into the sun last weekend, washed her and took pics, I just smiled and felt such sense of accomplishment to just have a car that LOOKS SO FRIKIN' COOL.... I didn't even feel bad when I had to push it back into the garage (Issues with motor is next on the agenda)

Hang in there man. Once she is ready to see sunshine again, there is NO DOUBT you will feel the same way I did. :D

IMG01390-20110417-1321.jpg

Thanks Steven. I thought I might post some pics like the ones below to show how we all have issues, rust, whatever that CAN be resolved, you just can't give up. Take a break, have a beer, whatever. Then take a deep breath and keep working on it... It is not a race...

IMG00574-20101002-1114.jpg

IMG00604-20101003-1829.jpg

IMG00697-20101106-0910.jpg

Thanks Steven. I thought I might post some pics like the ones below to show how we all have issues, rust, whatever that CAN be resolved, you just can't give up. Take a break, have a beer, whatever. Then take a deep breath and keep working on it... It is not a race...
Nicest none running Mach I've seen. BTW, did you attach the battery firewall panel with rivets? :D

Back