Big Block or Small Block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

351 Cleveland, Big block or small block

• Big block

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • small block

Votes: 19 100.0%

• Total voters
Small block. It has a shorter deck height than a 351W that everyone considers a small block. Chuck

Just a "friendly" discussion I am having with my mechanic.

He calls it a big block.

mike
That's the only way some can explain why it runs so strong, especially chevy guys...

Don C, I used to hear that all the time. Back in the day when I used to do a lot of "Late Night" drag racing, my pewter "M" code Mach 1 would run like something that had lost its mind. It was Very capable of holding it's own against most stock big block cars. The Mopar, GTO, etc fellows would just tell you "Good race, I'll get you next time". The Chevy guys with the 396/402 cars would cry about I should have outrun them since my 351C was a big block. The only thing changed on mine was a 3:50 locking rear, a high stall convertor, some distributor work and a Boss 351 intake. Nothing major, considering how strong some of those big blocks were and a lot of them were running the same mods I was!

It is a small block if you feel the need to use such terminology.
Just a "friendly" discussion I am having with my mechanic.

He calls it a big block.

mike
I've heard it called a midblock. I generally consider it the 460's little brother, since they were both designed about the same time.

They're a small block, no two ways about it. If someone still doesn't believe you, just tell the numpties like I did years ago, "if it was a big block, then the heads wouldn't fit on a 302 block to make a boss, would it"

I think to explain it to Chevy guys you can say it's a small block with big block heads!

But the block is definitely small.

Angle of the pistons??????? I think you meant something else. Look, the LS 1 Chevy engines and the 265 thru 400 older Chevy engines are both small blocks, but a different series of small block within GM's manufacture. Such is the case with the 351c vs the Windsor Fords, both small blocks, but two different series of engines within Ford's manufacture. FEs and 385 series 429/460s are both big blocks of two different series within Ford's manufacture. Hard to believe there are some who STILL haven't comprehended the concept of different series engines. Learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. 351c engines are like that...a lot of fight in those.

Back