• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine: April 04,73 Convertible

May 02,73 SportsRoof

May 31,73 SportsRoof

June 15,73 Grande

Please remember the VINS do not accurately represent the build dates. They can get you close. The actual build and release date from the Marti report helps more than anything.

Many believe two sequential VINs indicate the cars were next in line to each other in the assembly line. From whagt I have learned while possible, it usually was not the case.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Please remember the VINS do not accurately represent the build dates. They can get you close. The actual build and release date from the Marti report helps more than anything.

Many believe two sequential VINs indicate the cars were next in line to each other in the assembly line. From whagt I have learned while possible, it usually was not the case.

Ray

I've read that in 1973 Mustang shared the same production line as Pinto's and Maverick's. It is believed thats why there is a discrepancy in the VIN's and there not always sequential.

Ray

I agree Ray. My two Mach 1's are a case in point. From my Marti reports:

VIN 3F05Q260846 has a build date of 7/5/73 (3 days behind schedule)

VIN 3F05Q261106 has a build date of 6/29/73 (3 days ahead of schedule)

The later serial numbered car was actually produced 6 days before the earlier serial numbered car. If both of these cars were produced on schedule, they both would have been built on the same day - 7/2/73

Steve

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code C6 Auto

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code 4 Speed

Mine was built on 7/3/73 three days early. The vin is 3F05Q263742.

It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them make their experiments on journalists and politicians.

Henrik Ibsen

Ray

I've read that in 1973 Mustang shared the same production line as Pinto's and Maverick's. It is believed thats why there is a discrepancy in the VIN's and there not always sequential.

Boss1Ray is correct on the Vin's not being a good indicator of build date. The Vin's were assigned long before the car was actually built. You'll see Marti Reports where the car was built early, on time, or days behind schedule. Factors such as availability of options, power train, supplier problems, and whether it was a stock order or a retail sold unit make a lot of difference when the unit gets built. Supplier problems have a major impact on the assembly line. When the Tsunami hit Japan in 2011 it wiped out a plant that made special metal flake for Ford paints. Dozens of assembly plants were in turmoil when already Vin'd vehicles had to be canceled. A lot of the vehicles were retail sold units with standard and optional colors that had to be changed.

The only time I had ever seen cars come in that had Vin's in sequential order is when the dealer I was at fleet ordered police cars in lots of 50 or more.

The story about the Mustang sharing the production line with the Pinto and Maverick, is just that. The only shared vehicle was the Cougar. The Pinto was built in St Thomas (Ontario), Edison (New Jersey), and San Jose(Milpivas, Ca). The Maverick was built at Kansas City, San Jose, Wayne assembly Mi, St Thomas and Oakville in Canada.

Any actual line sharing with a vehicle that was not on the same platform began in 2005 when Mustang production moved to Flat Rock in Michigan. That's when the line was shared with the Mazda 6. Then the Fusion after Ford dissolved the Ford/Mazda partnership. :)

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Both my reports one from Marti one from Ford have mine, 3FO4Q263036 7/3/73

Both my reports one from Marti one from Ford have mine, 3FO4Q263036 7/3/73

Built on 7/3/73

Sorry posting from my phone

Oh! So mine is still the youngest :-)

(July 6)

Interesting coz Kevin Marty personally wrote me (about 6/7/73) that "There were a few other models of Mustangs built a few days later"

13/8 is quite a few days! Do you have a marti report?

Mine was built on 5/14/73. I was wondering who had there built in late June or July. Does anyone know when the last one rolled off the line in 73?

John J

My Mach 1 was built 4/17/73.

• 4 months later...

Just saw this thread, looked interesting. Decided to look at my standard Marti report, and my date is 7/6/73, 3 days behind schedule.

Guess I tied you Vinnie. :D

3F01F262870

Haha, fantastic, our cars are twins! (except that yours is a hard-top and mine is a Grande) Now we need kevin to dig up production TIMES ;-)

Well I can see that My Mach 1 was registratet in Denmark at 17-10 1973. [FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD][THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars 🇩🇰

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

My is 3F050260405.😎[emoji106] Regards Lars 🇩🇰 Sorry 3F05Q260405......

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

• 3 weeks later...