Pertronix

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Anyone have a Pertonix Ignitor II go bad on them? I recently had an intermittent starting issue. Replaced gas filter and car started. Two days later same issue. Replaced coil and it started and ran good for two days. Tried today and won't start again. Bought a spark tester and not getting spark. I then replaced the cap and rotor ans still won't start. The only things left are the Pertronix and the distributor.

Any way to check the Ingnitor II?

Any help appreciated.

Yes I had the magnetic pickup the ring that slides over the points cam go bad on me.

So I was getting no fire on 2 cylinders.

Yes. I had one completely quit. I did the same thing you did and replaced just about everything in the ignition system. I switched back to points and the car started right up. Bought a new Pertronix module and the car started right up. The old unit went bad. Unknown why, it had worked for over two years.

They warn against leaving the ignition key on with the engine not running. That will cause the pertronix to burn out.

I think they solved that issue with the pertronix III, but I'm not certain.

Hi,

for Pertronix 1 the ballast resistor kable (9V)to + connection is ok.

The Pertronix 2 need full 12 V.

You have to use a set-up with a relay.

Claus

Back