Mini Console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hi,

I'm wondering if the mini console was standard equipment on cars with standard interior or was there none at all? I have looked at a bunch of Marty reports and don't recall seeing it listed on any. The center console is listed though.

I have my dealer invoice with no mention of any console. I am a purist and was just wondering.

Thanks

The mini console was standard equipment in both standard and Mach 1 sport interiors. The long console was an extra cost option. I have two 71 Mach 1's with the Mach 1 sport interior. One has a mini console and the Marti report makes no mention of it since it is standard. The other has the long center console and it is listed in the Marti report along with the other options. Hope this info helps.

I could see that being so but I have a 73 convertible 48,000 mile original that had no long console and no holes where a short or long was ever installed. There is no ash try otherwise but it has a cigarette lighter. It is the deluxe interior also. Need the salesman's book to know what is what. I will go look at the showroom brochure and see if it says anything.

I also have a special order black vert that did not have console and Marti does not show anything either. It is deluxe interior with gages but not heavy on options.

David

DSC00123 (2).JPG

$_57[1] (2).jpg

i have to look in my sales books, but i have seen a marti report showing the mini console on the build sheet for 71-72 cars.

for my car it lists the long floor console as built from the factory.

i think it was part of an option group.

i know it wasn't part of the convenience group, maybe it was part of the A/C group. i have the book somewhere in my house I'd have to look for it.

i found one brochure online that lists the mini console as standard equipment on all 71 mustangs

947_9_low_res.jpeg

i know this changed for 72.

i found a 72 brochure online that seems to take away the mini console as standard equipment for all 72 cars, it seems to take away the mini console if you had a mach 1

then ford hosed you on either ordering the mini console or getting the long console as options. this was on top of the option of standard or deluxe interior.

To my knowledge, the mini console was standard in all 71-3 Mustangs unless the long console was opted for either through model selection or a check box on the order sheet. I've never had a 71-3 that didn't have one style of console or the other.

FWIW, not having any type of console would have eliminated the ash tray - completely unacceptable in the early 70's!!!

To my knowledge, the mini console was standard in all 71-3 Mustangs unless the long console was opted for either through model selection or a check box on the order sheet. I've never had a 71-3 that didn't have one style of console or the other.

FWIW, not having any type of console would have eliminated the ash tray - completely unacceptable in the early 70's!!!
Agreed it would be blasphemy for a car in the 70's to not have an ash tray. I know you stick your neck out when you say that's how something was on a car. I will say from owning, seeing them at a Ford dealer, helping judge them at MCA shows, and friends that owned 71,2,3 Mustangs that I have never seen one that was original and did not have one of the two consoles available. It does say in the 71 and 72 order guide that the mini console was standard regardless of the trim level or model of the Mustang. I do not have my 73 info with me. Got to remember that 1973 was the Swan Song" for this generation Mustang and variances abounded as Ford did what ever it took to get these cars out the door. The oldest Mustang in 1973 was only 8 years old and the assembly line workers were not concerned about "correctness". All they saw was an endless line of cars that could of been station wagons as far as they cared. Their job was to get them out the door. So...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :whistling:

I did find a 73 showroom brochure and the mini was standard. I guess the PO of the 73 vert I have got shafted. I will have to pull the carpet again and make sure there are no holes from console mount.

You had to have an ash try to put the roaches in, lol. Use to pull the ash tray out and hide stuff behind it, those were the days. Pink Floyd on the 8 track cursing down the road.

That is how I was told it was I never inhaled, I went to same class as Clinton did.

David

Thanks all for the discussion. I was confused after seeing some pictures with only the shifter bezel.

Based on what was said here, I think I will re-install a mini console in my 72. Got a real nice one from a member here that I re-coated. The car had one in it that was likely original but hard to be sure since the car had other things added to it like side stripes.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep David, I remember those days well. Had a buddy who rolled a lot of those "Left Handed Cigarettes" and had left them in my car when he went on a beer run. Knew the mini console in my Pewter Mach1 had a great hiding place behind the ash tray. Just as soon as I left the parking lot of the local hangout my C6 did a great (and loud) barking of the tires when it did the 1-2 shift. I got stopped and the boys in blue just knew they had me. Went through my car with a fine toothed comb but only looked IN the ash tray. Never did find my buddies "cigarettes". Changed my mind about installing a full length console in that car.( Plus my girl friend liked being able to place a pillow between the seats so she could sit by her man)!!...Ahhh, those were good times!! Lol

Our PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) techs are pretty knowledgeable now on all the car models. Back in the 70's unless it was missing a door or the engine was gone they cleaned em up and put them on the line. Misbuilt claims for missing items or some thing that wasn't right were far and few between. Sometimes between the assembly plant and some of the dealer personal, I wonder how these cars ever made it to the customer. I knew people at the Chevy and Chrysler store who told me the same kind of stories. A missing mini console probably was overlooked on your 73

I had actually pulled the factory long console out of my red Mach 1 and was going to replace it with a mini. But I got used to leaning on it and stuffing it full of all kinds of junk so I reinstalled it. Plus it kept my now ex wife from sitting too close to me!!

PADave, I hope you got some info out of all my ramblings. Lol

Yep David, I remember those days well. Had a buddy who rolled a lot of those "Left Handed Cigarettes" and had left them in my car when he went on a beer run. Knew the mini console in my Pewter Mach1 had a great hiding place behind the ash tray. Just as soon as I left the parking lot of the local hangout my C6 did a great (and loud) barking of the tires when it did the 1-2 shift. I got stopped and the boys in blue just knew they had me. Went through my car with a fine toothed comb but only looked IN the ash tray. Never did find my buddies "cigarettes". Changed my mind about installing a full length console in that car.( Plus my girl friend liked being able to place a pillow between the seats so she could sit by her man)!!...Ahhh, those were good times!! Lol

Our PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) techs are pretty knowledgeable now on all the car models. Back in the 70's unless it was missing a door or the engine was gone they cleaned em up and put them on the line. Misbuilt claims for missing items or some thing that wasn't right were far and few between. Sometimes between the assembly plant and some of the dealer personal, I wonder how these cars ever made it to the customer. I knew people at the Chevy and Chrysler store who told me the same kind of stories. A missing mini console probably was overlooked on your 73

I had actually pulled the factory long console out of my red Mach 1 and was going to replace it with a mini. But I got used to leaning on it and stuffing it full of all kinds of junk so I reinstalled it. Plus it kept my now ex wife from sitting too close to me!!

PADave, I hope you got some info out of all my ramblings. Lol
It is just cool to hear others that grew up in that time. It was all about fun and your car. I always tell others that we invented drifting here. We got an interstate highway,I-26 in 1967 I think it opened. We would get on the clover leaf that was designed just for racing and never get off. We would decide how many laps we were going to do. I started out with a 1950 ford that I had built the engine and lowered the car and ended up with the 73 Mach 1. I had a buddy that had a roadrunner and it use to embarrassed him so I would eat his lunch. Another had a cuda and he had nothing for the Mach. The guy with the roadrunner traded for a Datsun 240 Z and just knew he had me. Again he was embarrassed.

He actually took the car up on the blue ridge parkway and set it on fire to get out of the payments. It was rough on tires it was difficult to get 2,000 out of a set.

There were always autocross on Sundays in the local factory parking lots it was a blast.

There is just no fun like that now they would hang you for something like that.

Oh this is a console thread. They also presented a special position with the rear fold down in place. I remember stopping on the interstate because the gal friend was calling.

Did I actually say that. Life was not boring and filled with video games and phones back then. Just real stuff.

David

David

I like the long console, but it gets in the way of shifting the Hurst, so I'm sticking with the mini from now on...
Always liked the look of the long console. After turning my 67 4bl 289 4sp Mustang over in a VERY illegal "Late Night" drag race, I was on thin ice with my insurance company. So if I mentioned anything about a 4sp car I got laughed out of their office. So I ended up with two C6 Mach 1's so the console made no difference. I did drive a female "Friends" 4sp Mach 1 and the console did seem to get in the way of some "Spirited" shifting with that Hurst. :cool:

I wanted to concur with the mini console standard. My Boss and conv both have the mini consoles. My Grande has long console listed on the Marti and invoice.

Sent from my HP 10 using Tapatalk

I seem to recall my Marti Report not being specific on which console was in there - I believe it simply says: "console." (it's at home, of course)

My car didn't have a console of any kind when I first purchased it, but the first pic I took of the interior seems to have a "fade line" in the carpet in the shape of a long console (someone probably swiped or sold it for parts or something). The dashboard wiring harness also has the pigtail for a console. When I pulled the carpet out, I remember seeing the mounting holes in the transmission tunnel for a long console (not sure if they had been used, or just put there by the factory on all cars). Since it has the "Speedometer/Clock" instrument cluster, I'm also sure there was a "Mach 1" block-off plate, rather than the console (with a clock) I have now.

I actually removed a portion of the front corner nearest to the gas pedal - for some reason I felt like my foot could wind up damaging the plastic console somehow, if I were to find myself in a panic-stop situation or something along those lines. It's way up under the dashboard anyway, so it's not like it's hugely noticeable or anything.

Back