Need help on powers steering noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

Forum,

I recently changed the power steering pump and steering box. Changed the pump as it was squeeling at either end of the turn, and put in a 12:1 Lares 807 gearbox. I'm running March aluminum pulleys.

Following the installation I bled the system and it felt tight and sounded much quieter- no squeeling. My son drove it the next day, all looked good, but when he pulled into the garage the squeeling was back. I have bled the car several times ( using the vacuum method ) and each time the sound goes away, then comes back.

So here are my questions:

There are no leaks in the system- could air be pulled in somehow?

Is there an optimal pulley size for our rides- and does it change if the ratio changes?

I've read that pumps should match the gearbox - any ready references out there, or do I need to call Redhat or someone of that ilk?

And finally, any other ideas that you guys have?

As always, thanks for the help!

Butch

Do you have an fluid cooler on the power steering system? Hot steering fluid can cause the squeal that you are describing. What happens if you let the car sit a few hours and then starting it again, is the squealing gone initially and then it comes back? Burnt fluid can also cause this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
John-

Good thought - the cooler came off when the ac compressor pulled. The noise happens in both scenarios cold or hot.

Paul-

One of my initial actions was to replace the belts - went with the Continental that was reported to be the best. I'm considering taking a scotch brite pad to the grooves on the pulley.

Thanks -

Scotchbrite is a waste of effort IMO

Make sure the "V" of the belt is the right width.

I've seen a too skinny a belt used and it will slip and squeel.

The belt should be flush or a bit proud in the pulley you can

also try a bit of belt dressing.

Paul

jut a quick question:

using type 'F' or power steering fluid?

Back