VW tricks emission checks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Was looking to see what was going on in the world and saw this info on VW tricking the computer checks to their emission systems. It is going to be a huge recall and law suit for sure.

Read through the other Scandals in the past and you see how a few cents are all it takes to made decisions in the automotive world.

The Japanese are probably the worst with the Takata seat belts and air bags.

I think we as consumers should not have to have a car that is perfect, that is impossible. To do things that they know are wrong and try to cover it up is another story. You would have to drive around in a car with a roll cage to really be safe. Where do you draw the line? 5 point harness with 25 airbags to pack you in when you crash because you are texting.

Good read.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/10-of-the-biggest-automotive-scandals-ever/ar-AAeGjrf?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=U270DHP

I really don´t think they are the only one who did this. I can imagine the document shredders running 24 hours a day at the other makers.

Even in the 60ies they would let their skunk works teams properly set up and dial in a car before it went out for testing or a magazine road test.

This is the tip of the iceberg. VW were unfortunate to be the ones who got caught.

For every scandal that shows up 100 others go unnoticed.

VW has done what all of us have done with our own post-1973 cars - rip the shreds out of the emissions system. With EPA Tier regulations getting increasingly ridiculous against diesel engines, I'm not even surprised.

It's also not the first time either: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/vw-emissions-defeat-device-isnt-first

-Kurt

P.S.: As of 1997 jet aircraft were the #1 source of NOx fumes; about 70% worth. I don't care how many metric tons of NOx those VW's are spitting out, planes make them pale by comparison.

A friend that is a VW/Audi tech told me ten years ago about VW having two sets of software and the ecm being able to tell when it was being tested. I don't believe it is just 11 million and just diesels. Or just VW.

It will be interesting to see what the fix is. I bet the performance and mileage will be affected. There will be a big class action lawsuit on this case.

John J

What you need to keep in mind is that you can not compare your diesel trucks to European diesel passenger cars.

I don't know how strict your emission laws are for passenger cars but those modern European diesels are extremely clean.

I should know as I've been driving them for more than a decade now. Among those were 3 Volkswagens. My new Golf 7 is so clean that even after a year and a half you can look into the exhaust and see no residue whatsoever.

It does neither smoke nor smell, you can start it in the garage before you open the garage door and you won't have diesel smell in the garage.

When ever I see an American diesel truck blow out black smoke I wonder why they have those exceptions for trucks because they'd get banned from European roads in a heartbeat.

I don't wanna get political but I guess there is the idea behind those strict rules for passenger cars to keep the foreign makers from flooding the market with their diesels while the U.S. Makers don't offer any diesel passenger cars.

Since they found a way to make diesels perform properly those cars rock.

Modern European and Asian diesel cars have so much torque and power that it's hard to keep up with them in a gas powered car.

Both my diesel Alfa Giulietta and VW Golf can beat the 351 Mustang in any situation.

And with 44 mpg!!!!

Just to share some different point of view insight.

What you need to keep in mind is that you can not compare your diesel trucks to European diesel passenger cars.

I don't know how strict your emission laws are for passenger cars but those modern European diesels are extremely clean.

I should know as I've been driving them for more than a decade now. Among those were 3 Volkswagens. My new Golf 7 is so clean that even after a year and a half you can look into the exhaust and see no residue whatsoever.

It does neither smoke nor smell, you can start it in the garage before you open the garage door and you won't have diesel smell in the garage.

When ever I see an American diesel truck blow out black smoke I wonder why they have those exceptions for trucks because they'd get banned from European roads in a heartbeat.

I don't wanna get political but I guess there is the idea behind those strict rules for passenger cars to keep the foreign makers from flooding the market with their diesels while the U.S. Makers don't offer any diesel passenger cars.

Since they found a way to make diesels perform properly those cars rock.

Modern European and Asian diesel cars have so much torque and power that it's hard to keep up with them in a gas powered car.

Both my diesel Alfa Giulietta and VW Golf can beat the 351 Mustang in any situation.

And with 44 mpg!!!!

Just to share some different point of view insight.
I cannot speak intelligently about the large diesel trucks in the U.S.. I did do a lot of work with John Deere on their large tractors with diesel. The last testing I saw on their engines if you ran one in Los Angeles California the exhaust coming out the exhaust pipe was cleaner than the air coming into the intake. They had taken the exhaust temps up so high that they had to do design changes in their hoods to prevent melting them down.

I think most of the diesels here have the urea injection that somehow cleans up the exhaust. I do not know how they work just guys with them tell me they do. You do not see black smoke coming from the new diesels here either and they have no smell.

I am sure we will see many changes in coming years to what you can buy and what is offered. It is going to get more and more expensive to present to the public anything new.

Might need to start looking for a good horse and buggy. Oh but you have methane exhaust there also. I can see government requirements for some kind of emission controls there also, lol.

David

Agree with cuda. Then you read articles how people are mad and trying to sell their VW and cannot even sell it for $10000 under the book value (think it was in CA). From what I can tell, the cars run just fine. Hell they even pass emissions testing as is (though it is a cheat). So what if my car is running voodoo software as long as it runs good and still gives me great mileage. Hyperbole on the part of the media as all the greenies are now crying about driving a car that is at worst marginally more emissions than tested. This does not excuse the automaker, but this is not new as the requirements get ridiculous. I remember Pontiac getting busted for a similar trick on the 1973 455 SD engine in the Trans Am.

It will be interesting to see what the fix is. I bet the performance and mileage will be affected. There will be a big class action lawsuit on this case.

John J
Class actions make the lawyers rich while you get a $10 coupon to dunkin dounts.

I had a 2009 Jetta TDI but traded it in as the HPFP were imploding causing a $7000-$10,000 repair bill and while VW was covering it out of warranty, within the last 6 months if you're over 120,000 you're SOL.

Class actions make the lawyers rich while you get a $10 coupon to dunkin dounts
Bingo!

Love the interviews with the Chicken Little owners crying about this whole thing, like somehow now their VW is suddenly undriveable. Now that the value on them is dropped out it makes me think its a great time to buy one.

Back