Need an Opinion on this 1973 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I am interested in finding a heavily optioned Grande and found this one:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-1973-Ford-Mustang-Grande-t30368#listing=116215130

As far as options go, this car has what I am looking for. I don't care for the black paint and the custom hood badging but I could live with those things for a while. It looks like this car was a H code that has been upgraded. I am concerned about the photos of the undercarriage. In some of these pictures it looks like there has been some cutting and welding on or near the frame members. I would appreciate some feedback from the forum on what you guys think about this car and whether or not you think it has been rebuilt from a major front end crash.

Looks like a nice clean well optioned (now) upgraded Grande. I like whats been done. Very sharp. Undercarriage looks like it's a good driver quality and looks solid. Didn't notice anything funny under other than the heavy front sway bar. (which helps considerably)

No engine pics?

I saw what looks like some paint bubbling on the drivers side lower front quarter.

I'd look at it in person if I were able to. Always notice things better in person than in pics.

I'm not hot on the 73 front end but this car looks sharp anyway. Good luck.

Looks like a nice clean well optioned (now) upgraded Grandé. I like whats been done. Very sharp. Undercarriage looks like it's a good driver quality and looks solid. Didn't notice anything funny under other than the heavy front sway bar. (which helps considerably)

No engine pics?

I saw what looks like some paint bubbling on the drivers side lower front quarter.

I'd look at it in person if I were able to. Always notice things better in person than in pics.

I'm not hot on the 73 front end but this car looks sharp anyway. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I have asked them for engine photos and a Marti report. Are you saying you don't think this car came with the options listed ?

Nice car, premium price...

Nice car with power windows which are rare. I wonder if it has intermittent wipers. I think its weird that there are 60 photos taken but none of the engine compartment. Makes you wonder ?

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking car, don't care for the side stripes or the Cragars. Lots of options, good question if they are all original. If they are, it's a very heavily optioned car. A/C, P/W, rear defrost, convenience group, instrumentation group. etc.

Could stand a good power washing and chassis detail. You'd have to put a crossover on the main pipes to reduce the Flowmaster drone.

Opinion you say:

Image 35: At the door gap, it appears like a small crease of bondo on the front lower fender?

Image 36: Small bubble front drivers quarter, just above the rocker?

Image 38: Small bondo crack on the lower quarter edge underneath where it wraps to the truck extension?

Image 39-40: Rear valence painted flat black?

Image 42: Small bubles on the lower corner of the passenger door?

Image 43: Again at the door gap, it appears like a small crease of bondo on the lower fender?

Image 48: The transmission inspection cover missing.

Undercarriage does appear like it had a massive oil leak and though it is ugly, it probably works well to prevent rusting. I also agree that the lack of a crossover pipe will make the exhaust drone. Also in the underside image (#48) you can see that the engine appears to have been redone. Notice a chrome alternator, odd clamps on the fuel pump and the fuel filter down low, transmission looks like it was untouched (or cleaned). The soft lines for the brakes all appear to be original, meaning old and cracked. Especially that one located on the rearend. About the rearend, it looks like the front seal is leaking slinging oil on the exhaust and the shocks. Also, air shocks tend to hide rear spring sag.

This is just what you can glean in the pictures. I see the price is reduced to $16900 so a closer inspection of these areas and a good test drive, I would not think the price is outrageous. Still a very nice looking car and if it runs as good as the description says it does, then go see it and make your opinions of whether it is worth the asking price (or negotiate a better price).

I ended the above in question marks as the pictures may be showing odd reflections that look like cracks and bubbles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's a nice lookin' ride... and it's got Cragars! (Sorry, Dennis :whistling: :cool: ) What's not to love? ::thumb::

Steve,

That looks like a nice car... but...

If you're looking for a great stable mate for your Mach, my car is for sale. I have it listed with a small classic car dealership in Tifton, GA.

Here is the link:

http://auto-quest.com/index.php?content=inventory

My marti is listed on this site. I don't think you'll find a better optioned Grande in this shape anywhere. It also has the rarity of the T5 option going for it.

It really is a great car. I had good times with it, I've owned it for just over 3 years and I'm selling for financial reasons.

The price is negotiable, especially for a forum member.

Here is the write up:

1973 Ford (Mustang) T-5 Grande Coupe for Sale

This car was featured in the August 2013 edition of Mustang Monthly and also featured in the 2014 Edition of the CJ Pony Parts catalog. The links are provided below.

This "Q" code Coupe is powered by its original 351 Cleveland backed up by its original 4-speed top loader manual transmission running to a 9" rear end with 2.91 gears and traction-lok differential. This Coupe also came from the factory with the T-5 package, made for export to Germany. The T-5 registry show this car as one of only twelve 1973 T-5's registered in the U.S. This rare car is a one of one (one of 89 with this engine/transmission combo) as verified by the Elite Marti Report and the Original Invoice Eminger Report that will be included with the sale. These documents are both produced by Kevin Marti and officially licensed by Ford Motor Company.

This highly optioned car came from the factory with the following options: 351 CID 4V 8 cylinder, 4-speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter, dual racing mirrors, cloth and vinyl bucket seats, power steering, tilt steering wheel, full console, power front disc brakes, air conditioner - selectaire, electric rear window defroster, tinted glass, power side windows, competition suspension (with staggered shocks), T-5 package, and accessory package. This car also has a modern Alpine CD AM/FM head unit with 4 speakers and a separate amplifier installed. It also includes the forged-aluminum slotted mag wheels that were only offered on the 1973 model year cars wrapped in 14" Grand Am Radial GTs. This is a turn-key car, it goes, stops, steers and handles very well.

The original engine and transmission were rebuilt in 2006 and have approximately 8K miles on them. This classic is currently dressed as a Mach 1 tribute with front and rear spoilers and is painted in medium blue metallic with argent stripes/spoilers. A new battery, new KYB shocks and new steering components were just installed.

Here are the links referenced above:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1308-1971-ford-t-5-hardtop-import-duty/

https://www.facebook.com/cjponypart...04378794948/10150383933614949/?type=3&theater
http://www.fordt5.com/registry.html

Let me know what you think... thanks.

I was just about to suggest Pete's grande but Pete beat me to it. I've seen his car twice now and it is excellent in every way. If I had the money and space it would be in my corral.

Good luck with your search.

I was just about to suggest Pete's Grandé but Pete beat me to it. I've seen his car twice now and it is excellent in every way. If I had the money and space it would be in my corral.

Thanks Don... hope all is well with you and the family. How is Mason doing? He must be a Corporal by now.

I haven't had time to get on the forum much in the last few months. Busy with work, travel, kid's sports and church. Life has taken over... we had some down time last night so I pop the forum up on my phone and this thread was first on the list, how funny is that?

Anyway thanks again for thinking of me (my car). Take care... Pete

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I was just about to suggest Pete's Grandé but Pete beat me to it. I've seen his car twice now and it is excellent in every way. If I had the money and space it would be in my corral.

Thanks Don... hope all is well with you and the family. How is Mason doing? He must be a Corporal by now.

I haven't had time to get on the forum much in the last few months. Busy with work, travel, kid's sports and church. Life has taken over... we had some down time last night so I pop the forum up on my phone and this thread was first on the list, how funny is that?

Anyway thanks again for thinking of me (my car). Take care... Pete

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pete - your Auto Quest link above returns an empty page. I can see other portions of their website - just no inventory. Is there another way to get to it?

Steve,

If the Michigan car is really a black car from factory then that makes it pretty rare. I have a 73 black convertible and the Elite Marti does not even give much info. To get black it had to be a "Special Order Paint / Trim" as stated on the Marti. He cannot tell you the color it was painted or the special trim options either. They only did 144 Special Paint/ Trim Mustangs in 73 and that is over all 4 models, grande, convertible, sportsroof and Mach1. I attached a pic of the door sticker on my car you can see there is no color on the tag and it has a 6 digit DSO. The first two numbers are the DSO area or Detroit for my car and the last four numbers are the special order number for that area. You can see the ends of the argent side stripes on the edge of the door.

I am hoping to pull in a favor from Ford to see if they still have the records that were not part of the Marti information. Marti records were liability and warranty related records for possible recalls.

So that being said if it is black that adds to rarity I don't know if it ads to value. The T-5 car is also a nice car. You are close enough to the car in Michigan to make a run to see it. I saw in the ad they had dropped the price $6,000.

If you want original you need the Marti to check off to. It could have came with the NASA hood, side stripes and black. The side stripes can be part of the Special Paint / Trim option but was also a regular option you could get in 73.

Pictures always look better than in person but the underside looks very solid but they did not show the trunk, trunk drop offs or under hood, cowl and inner fenders. If you are wanting original and have to take this one back down it would cost more to do than just finding one like you want that has not been changed. Lots of cars out there take your time they come up every day.

David

VIN.jpg

Back