Horrible Sound from Engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
I am still not sure how to get videos to show up in the post so here are two links to the videos on Youtube. 1st link is engine at idle. Second is when being revved up. Any ideas as to what this would be? I would really appreciate it.

It worked! Also the sound seems to be coming from front passenger side of engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step one is to take the belts off and run the engine again. If the noise is gone, start investigating your driven accessories. Honestly, it sounds like a bad bearing to me, might be the A/C tensioner pulley....

I will give that a shot. How long can you run without the belts? I assume not long. Also in the first video the loud ticking noise sounds like an accessory bearing? The car almost sounds like an old diesel tractor at idle.

Sounds like slack in the valve train on passenger side. Hemi Killer's advice is a good place to start. Really hard to tell from a video. Chuck

Sounds like a combination of problems to me. Belt/tensioner and a lifter.

Just a thought but I have had 2 Clevelands start mushrooming their original pushrods whaen I played with them too hard, and that resulted in ticking noise. These were both old motors. Always start with the easy stuff first though, you should be able to run engine for about 2-3 min. from cold and be fairly safe without belts on.

OK. Update on this. I found the squealing. Power Steering pump, which I have been having problems with anyhow so I ordered a replacement pump and new lines as well. My wife is a nurse so I just used her stethoscope to find that. I was surprised how you could hear it at idle with the stethoscope so clearly. Still looking into the other noise but I am thinking exhaust now as well. Will post an update. If it is the manifold gasket I might breakdown and go with Headers. Any suggestion on s decent set that will work with the 73 Grande 351 2v with power steering?

If it still has the iron manifolds there should not be a gasket unless someone added it. They do crack also.

If you don't have a scope to listen to an engine find an old wood broom handle and cut you a piece about 2 feet long. You can put the wood like on your belt tensioner and the other end to your ear and hear amazing. You can do this down each head and listen to the valves. Go over all your front driven parts. You can get under the car and also listen to bearings in the crank. The more solid the part the better you can hear.

David

Back