1972 Mach 1, Q-Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
I am in the process of putting the car back like this. No side stripes with a spoiler and trim rings and caps. Almost done, have to replace the interior that the mice messed up.

When I bought it in 96 it had the stripes and I put magnums on it.

I originally thought traction-lok was standard on all 4v cars. After reviewing a bunch of reports on here, found out it wasn't. Guess that's something special about mine :)

Pictures below are current state.

nostripes.jpg

cj.jpg

Great car I like the black out bottom. The floor mats shown on the Marti are difficult to come by. Everyone thinks it is the solid rubber ones with the mustang running in the center front, NOT. They were actually color keyed to interior and had carpet inserts in the flat area. I have never seen any of the correct ones for sale anywhere. The T-Bird used the same mat. You could get the rear mats from the dealer they only sent the fronts from factory. They also had carpet inserts. The carpet inserts are not like the full carpet but more like exterior carpet is dense.

David

Interesting on the floor mats. Does anyone have a picture or link?

I bought the rubber ones thinking that's what they were.

I hope they were not the ones I threw away, Had "MUSTANG" spelled out on them, looked aftermarket.

I hope they were not the ones I threw away, Had "MUSTANG" spelled out on them, looked aftermarket.
No they did not even say mustang on them so they could go in several vehicles. I will have to dig through garage and find my originals. I ordered new and still have the car so I know what came with it. My window sticker says "Front Color Keyed Floor Mats" and cost $13.30. I saw a set in a guys trunk on craigslist ad for a 1973 T-bird and tried to buy them but he would only sell with the car.

The dealer options book or catalog has a picture if I remember correctly. I don't know if the showroom brochure has a pic or not will have to look.

David

No they did not even say mustang on them so they could go in several vehicles. I will have to dig through garage and find my originals. I ordered new and still have the car so I know what came with it. My window sticker says "Front Color Keyed Floor Mats" and cost $13.30. I saw a set in a guys trunk on craigslist ad for a 1973 T-bird and tried to buy them but he would only sell with the car.

The dealer options book or catalog has a picture if I remember correctly. I don't know if the showroom brochure has a pic or not will have to look.

David
Thanks, I will search for a picture too.

I scanned my dealer invoice, but there is no mention of the mats on it.

mustang_invoice.jpg

David

mustang_invoice.jpg
Now that is strange it is on the Marti but not the invoice. I did go looking around the net but could not find anything. I went to garage to look and did not find them so much stuff piled in there. I did find some NOS 20th. anniversary MPC models so put one on eBay, lol. Also found another black long console I didn't know was there.

I have had some people get in argument saying that mine were just aftermarket mats but they are not. Will have to find so I can get the part number off the back. I took them out of the car and rolled them up and put somewhere I know but that was like 35 years ago. Killed too many brain cells to remember.

I hope you can see the attached it is my invoice I got from the dealer. I have never ordered a Marti on this car since I ordered it and have window sticker, invoice , receipts from paying and the original hand written order form. You can see the floor mats on the order and the first page of the invoice.

I still think there are pictures in the Dealer pamphlet that was like 5" wide and 8" long with dealer options you could get. I looked over the net for one of those but could not find one. I ordered the door edge quards and the locking spare tire from it along with the rear mats to match the fronts when it was new.

David

IMG.pdf

IMG_0001.pdf

IMG_0002.pdf

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0001.pdf
    733.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0002.pdf
    589.4 KB · Views: 14

David

mustang_invoice.jpg
Now that is strange it is on the Marti but not the invoice. I did go looking around the net but could not find anything. I went to garage to look and did not find them so much stuff piled in there. I did find some NOS 20th. anniversary MPC models so put one on eBay, lol. Also found another black long console I didn't know was there.

I have had some people get in argument saying that mine were just aftermarket mats but they are not. Will have to find so I can get the part number off the back. I took them out of the car and rolled them up and put somewhere I know but that was like 35 years ago. Killed too many brain cells to remember.

I hope you can see the attached it is my invoice I got from the dealer. I have never ordered a Marti on this car since I ordered it and have window sticker, invoice , receipts from paying and the original hand written order form. You can see the floor mats on the order and the first page of the invoice.

I still think there are pictures in the Dealer pamphlet that was like 5" wide and 8" long with dealer options you could get. I looked over the net for one of those but could not find one. I ordered the door edge quards and the locking spare tire from it along with the rear mats to match the fronts when it was new.

David
It has been raining for the last week so not in garage any to look for the mats. I did find a picture I pulled from a craigslist ad selling a T-bird. The mats in the trunk are exactly like came in my Mach 1 from the factory. I think Ford just used the pattern in the rubber so they could use in multiple vehicles. There was no running horse or Mustang emblem in the Factory mats and they had the like outdoor carpet inserts to match interior. These are exactly like mine that were ginger but he would not sell just the mats. He thinks the T-bird is worth a fortune. It is clean but not worth much.

Anyway this is what you need to look for.

David

00O0O_fou87fUegkz_600x450[1].jpg

Nice 72 Q code...my car has the color keyed mats also and have always wondered about them but have never seen. Now I need a pair to go with red exterior and white interior...

Very nice car!

Those T-Bird mats look identical to the original 71/72/73/74 LTD mats - sounds like they were used in all the Ford cars. -Maybe Lincoln and Mercury cars too. I remember those well since my dad had a few of their company cars that were LTD's and Galaxie 500's. I was routinely 'tasked' to wash them and clean the carpets! :)

Ray

Nice 72 Q code...my car has the color keyed mats also and have always wondered about them but have never seen. Now I need a pair to go with red exterior and white interior...
That would be the color of your carpet, Black I would think.

I do think they used the same one in T-bird, Mustang and maybe Torino so don't just look for Mustang when searching. I wish the T-bird guy would well me his they are like new.

David

Great information guys, thank you for the picture of the T Bird mats.

What is the design in the rubber section, a ford logo or?

No logo just a design. That way they could put in different models without having different molds. The ones in the picture are exactly like the ones that came in my Mustang new. The ones in the back were just square with two narrow carpet inserts.

If someone can come up with the brochure for the dealer options for 73 I know there is a picture in there.

David

No logo just a design. That way they could put in different models without having different molds. The ones in the picture are exactly like the ones that came in my Mustang new. The ones in the back were just square with two narrow carpet inserts.

If someone can come up with the brochure for the dealer options for 73 I know there is a picture in there.

David
Thanks

I found a set of red ones on ebay. They might clean up for someone who needs red. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-to-Late-70s-Ford-Mercury-Lincoln-Floor-Mat-Set-Red

I will have to keep an eye out for these

David
Thanks

I found a set of red ones on ebay. They might clean up for someone who needs red. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-to-Late-70s-Ford-Mercury-Lincoln-Floor-Mat-Set-Red

I will have to keep an eye out for these
That would be the ones you would look for. Most people would think they are aftermarket but not. My interior was ginger so they were brown with brown carpet.

Does anyone have the Ford parts book so you can go back and see exactly what models and years are covered by the same mats?

David

Those mats had a generic design at the top and were used across the board on Ford and Mercury car lines except for the Pinto and Mustang II which had narrow foot wells. Guess this comes under the heading of "If I only knew then what I know now". Most people that had those mats in their cars came to us wanting to replace them with all rubber mats. If the carpet part was soiled then all they had to do was to vacuum them. If the rubber part was the culprit they scrubbed them, then they had wet carpet. Most of our customers would leave the mats and tell us to throw them out. Being part pack rat I would just put them in the back of the parts dept. Eventually we had a stack waist high that was always in the way. Tried to give them away but had no takers. Mustang people wanted the rubber running horse mats and everyone else wanted all rubber or all carpet. So you know what happened. We threw them out. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Those mats had a generic design at the top and were used across the board on Ford and Mercury car lines except for the Pinto and Mustang II which had narrow foot wells. Guess this comes under the heading of "If I only knew then what I know now". Most people that had those mats in their cars came to us wanting to replace them with all rubber mats. If the carpet part was soiled then all they had to do was to vacuum them. If the rubber part was the culprit they scrubbed them, then they had wet carpet. Most of our customers would leave the mats and tell us to throw them out. Being part pack rat I would just put them in the back of the parts dept. Eventually we had a stack waist high that was always in the way. Tried to give them away but had no takers. Mustang people wanted the rubber running horse mats and everyone else wanted all rubber or all carpet. So you know what happened. We threw them out. :(
It wasn't just floor mats. The 73 aluminum wheels use to be sold for scrap. Everyone wanted wider tires than they would hold. I bought 4 sets of them for no more than $10.00 each in the late 70's.

David

David, your right on the 73 aluminum rims. Before the first of the 72's hit the dealers lots Ford was already preparing for the 73 launch. Am really surprised they changed the rim offering for a model that only had months left in production. Most people I knew that had 73's were really ticked off about the 15" Magnum's being replaced by a 14" slotted aluminum wheel that looked like something every tire shop had offered for years. A lot of those did end up in scrap yards after they were replaced by Cragar and Keystone wheels. NO body wanted the 73 rims. Now you may fade in the song "If I only knew then what I know now"!

Back