Starter Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Don't know what kind of block Don sold me but I have burned out

another starter. That averages one starter per year. And this engine

fires right up at the turn of the key. The first in the "series" was an

inexpensive average starter, the second was a Powermaster from

Summit Racing. Not a slouch starter. This time I ordered another

Powermaster , the XS Torque series. We will see.

mike

I have had good luck with starters. I am also running a Cleveland. I have had 3 different sets of headers and no issues.

Do you have a good ground to the engine?

Heat kills starters, make sure your exhaust isn't leaking onto the starter. You may need to add a heat shield if your exhaust system runs too close to the starter.

Low voltage at the starter will also overwork and over heat the starter. Make sure your positive cables and solenoid are in good condition, and as will e said, your grounding.

really check your engine ground wire, that is the neg battery cable, sand the contact between the wire loop to the engine so the ground is really solid. i would sand the contact under the voltage regulator as well, make sure you have a solid body ground.

Those parts came from the starter drive.. Easily replaced.. The rest of the starter may be fine..

Unfortunately, in todays' world, too many parts are made in China which produces poor quality goods.. That drive, even though new, might have been made there. I suggest you try to locate an oem original drive, or one manufactured here in the U.S. Try Standard Motor Products or Dorman etc.

Back