351 cleveland mild build 2v heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastorpat

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible.
I just finished building and getting my 351 running. Here are the build details. I purchased the motor after it had most of the machining work done. $600.00

It is a 71 block. It was .040 over on flattop Pistons with reliefs. The heads had been rebuilt but it had been a while so I pulled them apart and did a mild porting. Mostly just cleaning them up. It has dual valve springs. Double roller timing chain.

I had to purchase cam, beatings, and gasket set. Summit camshaft 5200. Intake 281 @ 486 and exhaust 296 @ 512. Dual plane intake, edelbrock . Holley 600. Hooker headers. Stock ignition.

I think I spent less than $400 more on bearings and camshaft and gaskets . So all in about 1,000.

It came with a nice set of ARP bolts.

Need to get an exhaust system. Thinking 2 1/2 pipes.

Runs nice.

Any thoughts on HP and tork?

image.jpg

052c209c4e960a9702d7f3474697fbca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds very healthy. I am ready to get it on the road. It's hooked to a t-5 transmission. I think the ratings for the t-5 are about 300 foot pounds.

Don't worry about the T5. I have run bigger numbers on a T5 and as long as your are not beating th crap out of it from stop light to stop light all day and speed shifting all the time it will be fine. I will end up with larger numbers on mine and am not concerned.

Xlnt, sounds nice.

Merry Christmas

I have a little more lift and a little less duration on mine, and the CamQuest utility from CompCams says I should expect 400-ish at the crank. About the only difference between yours and mine are the 1.7 roller rockers and Duraspark ignition on mine. I would think somewhere North of 330 would be more like it... but Mike knows his stuff, so I'm guessing he's probably on it. ::thumb::

Yours even looks like mine with the Edelbrock valve covers and "Old Ford Blue" paint. ::thumb::

attachment.php

I did install the pertronix III ignitor ignition. I really like it. Merry Christmas all

I have a little more lift and a little less duration on mine, and the CamQuest utility from CompCams says I should expect 400-ish at the crank. About the only difference between yours and mine are the 1.7 roller rockers and Duraspark ignition on mine. I would think somewhere North of 330 would be more like it... but Mike knows his stuff, so I'm guessing he's probably on it. ::thumb::

Yours even looks like mine with the Edelbrock valve covers and "Old Ford Blue" paint. ::thumb::

attachment.php

For a little while I thought that was my motor.

attachment.php

For a little while I thought that was my motor.

Ummm, "Great minds..." and all that? ::thumb::

Pastorpat,

Sounds and looks nice. Did the cylinder heads have the harden seats for the non-leaded fuel?

mustang7173

I just finished building and getting my 351 running. Here are the build details. I purchased the motor after it had most of the machining work done. $600.00

It is a 71 block. It was .040 over on flattop Pistons with reliefs. The heads had been rebuilt but it had been a while so I pulled them apart and did a mild porting. Mostly just cleaning them up. It has dual valve springs. Double roller timing chain.

I had to purchase cam, beatings, and gasket set. Summit camshaft 5200. Intake 281 @ 486 and exhaust 296 @ 512. Dual plane intake, edelbrock . Holley 600. Hooker headers. Stock ignition.

I think I spent less than $400 more on bearings and camshaft and gaskets . So all in about 1,000.

It came with a nice set of ARP bolts.

Need to get an exhaust system. Thinking 2 1/2 pipes.

Runs nice.

Any thoughts on HP and tork?

It still has the stock valve seats. I do run lead substitute or I add some 110 aviation gas. The avgas has 4 times the amount of lead that regular gas did back in the day. So I blend the gas. I also don't used gas with alcohol in it. There are places you can buy non-alcohol gas.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Hi

What compression are you running ? Im guessing 8.8 or something Close to 9

Regards Rob

With flattop pistons and the .040 head gasket and stock heads that's close to what I came up with. About 9 to one. Chamber pressure on compression check was 150 psi. If I remember correctly.

Back