• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

"Hen's Teeth" aka 10 piece exterior trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
My '72 convertible was ordered from a factory catalog while I was serving in Viet Nam '71.
My car is finally out of the body/paint shop and is in need of some brite work.

I'm missing both quarter panels lower exterior trim pieces. One goes in front of the rear tire and the other goes behind the tire. 4 pieces in all.

I'm willing to buy all 10 pieces if in good condition.

Not sure if I'm explaining this very well, questions welcome.

Bru

Thank you Dave, but unfortunately mustang unlimited and others still list the trim set but they are no longer available.

This is one of my pet peeves. I ordered this same set from Scott Drake and had to wait 3 days to find out they no longer carry them. A total wast of my time. If a company can't keep their web site up-to-date, then I don't want to wast my time with them,

Stepping off my soapbox........

You can get a new set for $389. http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=20879KIT+01

I've never seen used ones for sale. Maybe someone has some in a parts box.

Good Luck

Ah, sorry about that, I got mine several years ago.

I think they are repros, someone should have the tooling, they could make some money.

Thank you Dave, but unfortunately mustang unlimited and others still list the trim set but they are no longer available.

This is one of my pet peeves. I ordered this same set from Scott Drake and had to wait 3 days to find out they no longer carry them. A total wast of my time. If a company can't keep their web site up-to-date, then I don't want to wast my time with them,

Stepping off my soapbox........

You can get a new set for $389. http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=20879KIT+01

I've never seen used ones for sale. Maybe someone has some in a parts box.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I may still have some of my old parts, though they are nothing to write home about. Shoot me a PM to remind me to look. I could grab some pics and you can decide for yourself. I saved them just in the one of mine disappeared.

FWIW, the repops were not exactly great. They fit just okay and required alot of effort to get installed. The clips supplied were Mopar parts and "almost" fit right.

I bought a parts car vert with the side lower trim on it. That is one reason I bought it. I was told also you could buy new. I don't know how much is the same on your car. Might want to sell but do not have the car yet. Might make the trip this weekend to pick it up about 1,400 mile total for me.

David

I bought a parts car vert with the side lower trim on it. That is one reason I bought it. I was told also you could buy new. I don't know how much is the same on your car. Might want to sell but do not have the car yet. Might make the trip this weekend to pick it up about 1,400 mile total for me.

I do not know what all Dennis Carpenter makes but he has the machines to make the side trim in his shop. It is roll formed with dies to shape the ends.

David

00808_f6xxAG3HONg_600x450[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you CMM for the reply.

Let me know when you get around to getting your car.

I must admit that the drivers side trim looks a bit bent. Really can't tell till you send pictures.

Thanks,

Bru

I'm missing the trim off of both quarter panels. 4 pieces...

The ones in front of and behind the rear tires.

Once I get them all together, I'll send them out to be chromed.

Thinking back, I was such a dumb kid when I got this car almost 20 years ago. It had the lower trim and the 3 piece trim along the top of the hood and the fenders next to the lower part of the windshield. All this on a Grande with Deluxe Interior and no courtesy light package, not that any of these have anything to do with each other, just wish I had kept all that trim rather than throwing it out because I didn't like the way it looked and didn't know it was factory and how hard it would be to find later. :\

Yes, I do. (thanks for checking tho)

I'm sending out other parts that were not chormed at factory also. Like rear quarter window trim, tail lite panel trim, delux door panel trim,.. ect...

The problem is I can't send anything out till I get all the pieces together without costing me my first born....ummmm let me think about this??? ;-)

Still missing the molars

aka

Trim in front of and behind both rear tires

I have an original set, used but complete (10 pcs.). No clips though... I bought them back in 2002, never used them, have been in storage since. My current '71 429cj vert project did not come with the convenience group :s , therefore I will have no use for them moving forward. I just went out to my car and sized these up and they are exact fit. Don't mind trying to help someone out who may need them.

Not sure about a price, would look to sell as a whole set. Three of the four pieces you refer to are in good used shape, but one has a small dent, not sure if it can be tapped out?? The set also requires a complete polish, etc. All other nine pieces are dent free. I cant take a picture at the moment, my I-phone has frozen on me, will not allow me to swipe it on, don't know what to do, guess I will have to go to an apple shop...

I have been buying parts for my project and the prices have been unreal, $1500 US for a correct show quality carb = $2100 by the time I paid the conversion and shipping, etc. However, it was a rare, within correct date code carb, had to have... I'll never get over what I paid for it, but no one forced me...

I can try to get you pictures if interested. Thanks

Yes, I am very interested.

Please PM me with pics and price.

Bru

I have an original set, used but complete (10 pcs.). No clips though... I bought them back in 2002, never used them, have been in storage since. My current '71 429cj vert project did not come with the convenience group :s , therefore I will have no use for them moving forward. I just went out to my car and sized these up and they are exact fit. Don't mind trying to help someone out who may need them.

Not sure about a price, would look to sell as a whole set. Three of the four pieces you refer to are in good used shape, but one has a small dent, not sure if it can be tapped out?? The set also requires a complete polish, etc. All other nine pieces are dent free. I cant take a picture at the moment, my I-phone has frozen on me, will not allow me to swipe it on, don't know what to do, guess I will have to go to an apple shop...

I have been buying parts for my project and the prices have been unreal, $1500 US for a correct show quality carb = $2100 by the time I paid the conversion and shipping, etc. However, it was a rare, within correct date code carb, had to have... I'll never get over what I paid for it, but no one forced me...

Will send you some pics, figured out my phone issue... one quick correction to my original post, I mentioned Convenience Group, when in fact the lower bright trim option formed part of the Décor group... my apologies.

Yes, I am very interested.

Please PM me with pics and price.

Bru

Pastel Blue -

Yes you are correct about the Décor Group trim. It separated the contrasting lower body paint of argent OR semi flat black, aka Satin Black. If a car had these it indicated the factory stripes were not originally installed. DEAD GIVE-AWAY!

For cars with factory stripes the trim was replaced by a special striping that made it look like a 1/4 inch tape stripe.

1971 1972 Boss lower body tape stripe.jpg

Ray

Exactly!

Pastel Blue -

Yes you are correct about the Décor Group trim. It separated the contrasting lower body paint of argent OR semi flat black, aka Satin Black. If a car had these it indicated the factory stripes were not originally installed. DEAD GIVE-AWAY!

For cars with factory stripes the trim was replaced by a special striping that made it look like a 1/4 inch tape stripe.

Ray

Here is a picture of the 10 pcs., the small one at the bottom has a small dent...

Exactly!

Pastel Blue -

Ray

Last edited:
Back