Difficulty Seeing the timing pointer…..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, 351 4v, C6, Holley 650
Finally got the rust cleaned off the balancer so I can see the timing marks but found that actually seeing the pointer is almost impossible as it sits below and behind the alternator etc.

1. Am I using the square end of the pointer to time? I can view that end but just so.

2. If I'm looking at the sharp, left side of the pointer for timing, which I think is correct, it is not possible to shoot the light at it or see the marks.

What the heck????

Here are a couple of pics of my view and the pointer from a camera phone stuffed down inside.

Any help or thoughts here is appreciated. Feel free to tell me the obvious that I may be too dense to see. Thanks

Eric

20151005_200252.jpg

20151005_201033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked mine from underneath the car. I put a white chalk mark on the pointer & a mark on the degree I wanted to set timing at. Use the pointed end of the timing tab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to figure out that if I stuffed the timing light down beside and then below the alternator I could point it in a good direction while looking down from above through the very small window to make the adjustment. All good now.

Thanks

Back