Sport Mirror Interchange

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I'm looking for the glass and potmetal mounting tab that's bonded to the glass on '72 passenger side sport mirror.

Does anyone know what other Ford mirrors would interchange with that model? I'm not concerned with matching numbers.

Thanks,

BT

Mirrors from Gran Torinos, Maverick, and Ranchero (the pedestals are different, but the mirrors, pivot mechanisms, and shape are the same). Same year Cougar mirrors are direct-fit (and the passenger side may even have remote controls you could incorporate into your car).

I know this because I bought the Cougar mirrors for my '71. I mounted the passenger side "remote" mirror, but haven't ran the remote cable yet.

The Scott Drake "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" are nice and fit well - I put them on both mirrors to help with increased range of visibility. Your best bet on getting replacement glass is to have a glass shop cut some new mirrors if you don't want to go the repop route - I don't believe there are any OEM-style repop mirrors out there.

Hope this helps.

Mirrors from Gran Torinos, Maverick, and Ranchero (the pedestals are different, but the mirrors, pivot mechanisms, and shape are the same). Same year Cougar mirrors are direct-fit (and the passenger side may even have remote controls you could incorporate into your car).

I know this because I bought the Cougar mirrors for my '71. I mounted the passenger side "remote" mirror, but haven't ran the remote cable yet.

The Scott Drake "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" are nice and fit well - I put them on both mirrors to help with increased range of visibility. Your best bet on getting replacement glass is to have a glass shop cut some new mirrors if you don't want to go the repop route - I don't believe there are any OEM-style repop mirrors out there.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, that is helpful. I can expand my craigslist search. What I really need is the metal piece that attaches the glass to the mirror base.

In my case, the screw that holds the glass in place came loose and I got home one day and the mirror was gone...housing is still there. This was some 20 years ago when the car was a daily driver :)

I bought a set of Mustang II mirrors, thinking they might work - but the cans are slightly different, along with the pedestals. I'm not sure if the internals are the same or even close - but I'll be happy to dig 'em out this weekend and check. If they're the same, you can have 'em.

Will do - I'll letcha know when I get to them. They're in a box, by another box, under a smaller box that's behind a bigger box, all on top of a crate, which all are full of the old pieces of my '71's restoration that I haven't thrown away yet. I'll be working on the car this weekend, so I should be able to locate them fairly quickly.

Oh wait - I think I also have another sport mirror from one of the 2 parts cars a buddy and I went in halfsies on while we were scavenging - it was left behind, and someone assumed it was mine and tossed it on the pile of parts I'd collected before I took my car home from the shop I was working in. I'll be sure to check it out as well.

My car came with the single chrome mirror, I added the Mustang II sport mirrors and as Eric said the pedestals are different, but they look like they belong there.

check out my pictures you can see that.

Mustang II, Pinto's, Maverick's all have the same mirrors.

Latest posts

Back