New to the group...

Guest Pastel Blue

Guest Pastel Blue

Would like to introduce my latest project, a 1971 429cj J code convertible. 1 of only 42 produced in '71. Low optioned car; auto, A/C, AM/FM radio, tinted windows, bumper guards, sport hub caps. Car is currently in tear down stage for a complete body rotisserie restoration and paint. Arizona car up until the early 2000's, then the son took the car and stored it away in the Spokane, WA area in a dry machine shed environment. Now resides with me in the Niagara Falls, Canada area. Car was on a recent national Mustang magazine cover in September, 2015; shown being pulled out from the shed. I purchased it from the dealer who pulled it out. Big $$ invested, and the real work still to come... However, I have owned many of these cars, one other J Code Mach 1 for 17 year's. This one is special in that it incorporates its original complete driveline line, save, for the missing carb, alternator and distributor. I have searched out all but the correct distributor so far... Anyway, will post pics of the restoration process if the group is interested. Cheers. BTW... trying to post a picture, not sure if it will come through here, patience...

Picture will not post? I get it to upload and then hit the "include in post button", but no luck... What am I doing wrong?

Let me be the first to welcome you to our site. Your car sounds interesting and as you know is SUPER RARE.

I am looking forward to following your restoration. You might start another thread under 'projects' to post your progress.

Like others have said, you're gonna like it here! :)

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Welcome from Iowa.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Welcome from W. TN. Glad you stopped in. I have also been responding to your posts on the Concourse forum. Looks like the project is moving along well. Two keys words to remember over the coming months and years Patience and Planning. This a great group of 71-73 enthusiasts who are more than glad to offer any help that is needed. Keep us posted as you progress along and we will be glad to help out with any questions. Again, welcome to our mustang family.

Here is a link to the site's FAQs on posting pictures and other various areas. Rocketfoot is a great site manager and can get most questions addressed with little difficulty if not already addressed in FAQs.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-faq-s

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Welcome to the site from Virginia.

Looking forward to seeing pics.

Photobucket also works well for pics.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Picture will not post? I get it to upload and then hit the "include in post button", but no luck... What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the site from West Texas! ::thumb::

I checked the thread, and I'm not seeing an attachment associated with this thread or your profile of any kind. In a Reply text box, you'll need to 'attach' the pic (click "Add Attachment" after browsing to find your pic and inserting into the "New Attachment" blank space - found below in the "Attachments" tab). Once it's attached, you'll need to "Include In Post", where it will add an attachment tag (with the attachment number) into your post - you can move it around if you like, just make sure you get all of the tag code moved if you do so. When you post the reply, it'll show up as a picture. There's a tutorial (with pictures and everything) in the FAQ section.

Hope that helps! Can't wait to see your pics!

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Welcome from Phoenix. I am looking forward to seeing pics!

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Guest Pastel Blue

Thanks for the welcome from all over the world! yes, this is a major undertaking for me, it has been 25 years since I last attempted this... I wanted to do one last car, but one that was initially complete in terms of original parts, rare and a big block... When this car became available, I decided that this was the one and I went all out to get it, including trading in a turn key '73 California mustang convertible + a bucket full of cash... and it still requires a full restoration! Why not...

I am not a computer guy, pretty basic skills. I have been documenting the tear down of the car, 450 pictures so far. If I can figure out how to start a picture hosting site, I will post them there. Currently, doing the dirty work, much of this car has never been apart in its 44 years. Has some issues, (ie. the use of rear air shocks has caused some stress cracks in the rear trunk pan and the shock housings, I hate air shocks!!!), but they can be fixed. the car is due to go on the rotisserie at the end of the month if I can get it stripped down in time. I am working every day... Hope the picture I attached comes through... Cheers.

396921854_convertteardownprogress.jpg.470652176393bdd27b7f90f85a061014.jpg

Wow that is so awesome story sir. Looking forward to follow up on your progress on restore your Vert.[WINKING FACE] Regards DK73

Sendt fra min D2005 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Thanks for the welcome from all over the world! yes, this is a major undertaking for me, it has been 25 years since I last attempted this... I wanted to do one last car, but one that was initially complete in terms of original parts, rare and a big block... When this car became available, I decided that this was the one and I went all out to get it, including trading in a turn key '73 California mustang convertible + a bucket full of cash... and it still requires a full restoration! Why not...

I am not a computer guy, pretty basic skills. I have been documenting the tear down of the car, 450 pictures so far. If I can figure out how to start a picture hosting site, I will post them there. Currently, doing the dirty work, much of this car has never been apart in its 44 years. Has some issues, (ie. the use of rear air shocks has caused some stress cracks in the rear trunk pan and the shock housings, I hate air shocks!!!), but they can be fixed. the car is due to go on the rotisserie at the end of the month if I can get it stripped down in time. I am working every day... Hope the picture I attached comes through... Cheers.

A warm welcome from Detroit and look forward to following your story

Nigel B

1972 Mach 1 Cobra Jet 4 speed

Guest Pastel Blue

Although the car came with the original door identification tag, buck tag, trans tag, and rear end tag; the engine tag was no where to be found on the top of the engine (should be under the coil)... I thought it was long gone and I was going to order a replacement from K. Marti. However, today I was cleaning some of the various steel tubing pieces, removing grease etc. I grabbed the piece of tubing that provides vacuum from the the top of the engine intake manifold to the transmission and as I was cleaning, I removed a bent piece of what I thought was just a metal bracket. Upon closer inspection, I saw the #'s "429" and I realized what I had. I carefully straightened it out and low and behold, it was the original engine tag. Wow! I surmised that someone removed it when replacing/removing the coil previously and unlike many in the past where it was tossed, they had the good sense to keep it with the car by attaching it to the tubing at the back of the engine on the firewall, where it has remained all these years covered in grease and bent like a bracket. Today, was a good day!

487589830_429cjconvertibleenginetag.thumb.jpg.a41e1ddf695c96860822f1d598339289.jpg